Christmas - Tis the Season to be jolly, to fly and reflect

Nightflyer

Firstly season's greetings to all fellow aeromodellers. I don't know about you but despite all the usual madness that comes with the time of year I always take time to try and get some flying time in, and also some workshop time and a bit of time to reflect on my hobby.

Certainly as the years go by you notice how the hobby, people, models and atttudes change. I am one of those of an age whereh I can say I enjoy ic and electric power, along with slope and thermal and think how once our fight for our sites was over noise, and that the firm establishment of electric power would take the argument of noise at sites away, yet it seems (as many already thought) that noise is just an excuse to leverage support to stop flying. I have heard of a couple of clubs with such issues this year. I guess the positive is that it does make our defence of sites slightly easier.

It has been sad to see the loss of Solarfilm after all these years - but I am thankful for all the models the product helped me to cover and finish over the years, like some of our other shops and manufacturers but I do wonder what the future holds for a number of manufacturers and the way the hobby will evolve in the future.

I also remember those modellers with us - and those sadly departed, and I think how lucky I am to know or have known those people, and I am thankful of the associations, friendships and fun that this hobby provides me year after year. Regardless of everything else it is people that make this hobby, and long may it do so!

Happy holidays!

Advert