Nutball

Nigel R

I deviated a bit by making a U shaped spine underneath. The spine is as long as the diameter of the main disc. It sticks out by about 4". This made balancing very easy. Motor is hung on the end of the spine as photos make apparent.

Edited By Nigel R on 09/01/2019 22:28:32

No problem Don.

Piers, not sure how I missed your links, the Little Bird is great.

The Capricorn looks great.

On a similar note, my bucket list contains Laddie Mikulasko's excellent looking Arrow:

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6504

but reduced size in foamboard or depron. It is a simplified version of his Northstar:

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10325

which was reduced to make the Polaris - starting another very busy RCG thread - which seems to have been cloned by Hobbyking as the Artic Cat.

Not yet though. Going to do a standard prop-at-front delta type before that, as mentioned I like the look of the Dekan's Simple Delta which bears a passing resemblance to the Drakken.

'Not a bad glide' . It could depend on what you are talking about. These low aspect ratio / low wing loading 'flying wings' can fly at a high A of A without stalling, but without power the glide angle is steep, so not a good glide compared with conventional aircraft. However, their sink rate is low, due to the low wing loading, so from that perspective you could say they glide well. Especially true, as they are so easy to control and stable in this region of their flight envelope. They also have a very good speed range, the Arap S2 stalled at 23mph but had a top speed of 97mpg, all on 37hp; remarkable! There have been other similar low aspect ratio aircraft like the Barnaby Wainfan FMX-4 Facetmobile and the new two seat Verhees Delta. Fascinating stuff!

Nigel, thanks to the Outerzone link to Laddie Mikulasko's Arrow. I built a North Star some years ago but lost the use of the lake before I finished it sadly. I only binned the wing six months ago - I could have built an Arrow from it. Dam!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 10/01/2019 14:50:14

Thank you lads, I will do one. Initial fag packet calculations done.

Piers, I built, about 20 years ago, a free plan from Radio control Scale Aircraft? It was a scalish thing of something with the nickname Flying Doughnut . Interwar French design I think. It flew ok. It had no stall to speak of, but eventually mushed without much control. A circular wing design. Would update well to electric and depron. Pretty thing.

The two seater Verhees is a lovely piece of work. Dream project, when the kids have moved.

I think deltas have a lot going for them in the land of light aviation, but I am not a lightplane owner, so, pinch of salt.

"It could depend on what you are talking about."

Well, my comment was specifically relating to glide time.

During a glide it is of course easily controllable. It is simply that the glide slope is quite steep.

Of course this steep glide can be of huge benefit if you operate from small fields. Not specifically for this size foamie, but particularly in bigger heavier models.

Don,

were you thinking of the Lee Richards annular wing?

Image result for Lee Richards Annular Biplane

This is the model in the Science Museum, but there's also the biplane version featured in the 'Those Magnificent Men' film.

RogerT

Edited By Roger T on 10/01/2019 18:08:06

Edited By Roger T on 10/01/2019 18:09:04

That Lee Richards design looks like the 'toilet seat' guitar that Ronnie Woods played on one of The Faces TOTP appearances....maybe Ronnie was an Aeromodeller?...….or....maybe Lee Richards was really Keith Richards and he loaned Ronnie his model?......it's late..I'll get my coat...

Fats..