World's largest aircraft retired for further development

Geoff S

The world's largest aircraft (an airship) has been retired so that further development can be carried out. It's based at Cardington where the huge sheds still stand from the R100/101 era. I remember riding past them on the A600 from Bedford to Old Welwyn on my motor bike in the late 50s when I was working in WGC and travelling home to Nottingham and back.

I wonder if anyone has built and flown a model airship outdoors. A scale R101 would be quite a sight.

World's biggest Aircraft Retired.

Geoff

Advert

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 13/01/2019 15:18:21:

I wonder if anyone has built and flown a model airship outdoors. A scale R101 would be quite a sight.

Hi Geoff,

Not a scale R101 but a scale Parseval Naatz 30, followed by a model of a proposed (but I don't think ever built) Bournemouth II airship. Both built by Mr Raymond Morse from Norfolk & reported in an article by Lord Ventry in the 1957-58 Aeromodeller Annual. See page 61- 64 in part A of this PDF

Models were free flight but a radio controlled model was envisaged at a later date.

Pat.

PS the models were both hydrogen filled.