London Model Engineering Exhibition

The London Model Engineering exhibition is on at Alexandra Palace this Friday Saturday and Sunday.

As usual it probably won't have too much pure aeromodelling stuff but will have a BMFA stand and presumably indoor flying like previous years. Probably only worth going if you want to see what the engineers, boat builders etc are doing. Lots to learn from other modelling hobbies.

If you go don't forget it's a long steep hill to walk up from the station so best get the bus unless you are really fit.

Advert

It is still a good exhibition to go to and while kc's comments about the variety of modelling and engineering is true it is also useful for stocking up on tools etc and seeing what others get upto.

While sadly these days the "London Model Engineering Exhibition" is not the size that it used to be in the 70's and 80's when it ran for a week or so, it is still a very good event and great for catching up with old friends too.

That said my teenage son is looking forward to going especially as these days there is no Modelworld at Brighton.

We should all remember that these events only happen if supported. Personally it helped encourage me to develop my love of aeromodelling, railways, model engineering, boats and cars over the years, and more important in some respects, forge friendships that have lasted many years now.

Haven't been for a while to 'Ally Pally' so have tickets for this weekend. Good to see what other model engineers are up to - particularly like the model railways and horology.

When I was a kid, my family used to live nearby at the bottom of the hill near Palace Gates Road. Dad had an old 1950s Reliant (aluminium body type), and I clearly remember the struggle the three-wheeler had getting to the top of hill and the terror of the descent later on with marginal brakes! Happy days.

Went yesterday and had a very enjoyable time. Plenty to see and found many of the exhibitors ready and willing to talk about their models. Easy parking and took a steady hike up the hill to the top (not a shuttle bus in sight). BMFA stand was good and seemed to be attracting a constant stream of the curious throughout the day.  Nightmare journey on the way home, quite incredible grid-locked traffic - not used to all that now we're out in 'the sticks'. Will plan a different  route next time. Probably better to go on Sunday.

Edited By Cuban8 on 20/01/2019 09:52:43

Hi Cuban8 I know what you mean about traffic round that way. I used to drive and found the Sunday was quieter, but these days I let the train (and Underground) take the strain, although that can be a lottery at times for running reliability.

As for the show as my earlier post said there is something for everyone really, especially if you have more than one interest, and surprising what you can learn from others too and apply yourself.

I think the most remarkable exhibit was the OO gauge live steam locos. I thought they were electric with a smoke generator, but no, the water was heated in the tender by electricity from the track (immersion heater) and then on to a tiny super heater also drawing power from the rails.