Blade mCPX and opentx

trebor

I have been given a Blade mCPX to try out and I am trying to program a Taranis fitted with a iRange X module. I know nothing about Helicopters but using this Opentx setup

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

I managed to get it hovering in normal curve but was unable to take off using curves 2 and 3. As I say I have no idea what these curves are for and I feel well out of my depth. Is there any other guides I could use just to get me flying ? Are these setups any good for the Blade mCPX ?

Advert

Trebor, you are using some generic set ups based on Open tx for a 450x helicopter, reading the blade manual, they show 3 curves for Spekky radios as follows

1. Normal, straight line throttle curve, with pitch going from slight negative and increasing with throttle, so throttle/collective back gives motor stop/slow and negative pitch, advancing the throttle increases power and pitch.

2. Throttle is on full all the time and pitch moves from full negative at stick low to 0 pitch with stick at mid point to max +ve pitch with stick high, for 3D flying where you are flipping the helicopter over, tic tacs etc

3. as per 2 but throttle off, basically a get out of jail switch when it all goes wrong in 2 wink

I've got a Balde 300 and mCPX on my Spektrum and have only ever flown them in curve 1, wink 2 I don't have the reflexes or skill for 2.

Trebor - a word of warning: I bought an MCPX ages ago, and despite years of helicopter experience, I wouldn't rate it as at all easy to fly!

It may be OK in the hands of an experienced "stick banger", but it is very difficult to keep in one place. I fitted the "beginners" blades - the heavy ones with the CofG correction probes - and it still wanders all over the place!

What I'm saying is: don't be put off helicopters by it. Most helis are much easier to fly than that!

I have mine working on opentx, and although I've recently acquired an iRange X, I haven't set the MCPx up on it. If you want to PM me, I can send you my model file, but you'll need to tweak the radio setting so suit your module.

Cheers,

--

Pete

Hi Trebor,

Yes, its twitchy and wayward at the best of times, and the swashplate has a habit of coming apart in flight if its had a heavy landing!

I started off using a Spektrum module, but when my lad knicked that, I switched to an Orange module. I've now got an iRangeX+, but I haven't had the MCPx out in ages, and haven't switched it over yet.

However, you are welcome to my mcpx.bin file. Just check everything over thoroughly before flying, and remember to set the module up.

Cheers,

--

Pete

Easier said than done, all I do is enter all settings by TX, I do update via companion but every time I try to use it for something else I mess up. I dont go too near the sd card if I can help it for the same reason computers and me dont get on frown My Taranis opentx version is 2.2.3, somehow I got the sounds updated and its working fine but I dont want to rock the boat. I will let you know if I make any headway blush I have noticed that my TX opentx has no helicopter model wizard symbol but on companion its there but I cant select it dont know

You shouldn't really need the wizard for an mcpx - the stabiliser unit in the model looks after all the clever mixing (in theory!).

If you switch the TX on with the trims held inwards, it will take you to the bootloader. Once there, as soon as you plug it into a USB cable, it should appear on your computer as 2 disk drives. One is the SD card, and the other is the system firmware. Don't mess with the latter! If you are using windows, you may need to install "zadig" drivers to access the drives as USB drives. If you're using Linux or Mac, you don't need any drivers - it just works!

Alternatively, with the Tx OFF, pop out the SD card and plug it into your computer using an adaptor - probably easier and safer! Just copy the bin file into the "MODELS" directory, unmount it and pop it back in the Taranis. Simples! wink

--

Pete

Posted by Peter Christy on 21/01/2019 18:54:54:

You shouldn't really need the wizard for an mcpx - the stabiliser unit in the model looks after all the clever mixing (in theory!).

--

Pete

Pete, correct the only set up is the throttle/pitch curves for normal and 3D flight and they give you set ups for typical Spekky transmitters, so in theory all you should need to do is translate the Spekky curve %ages into Open Tx %. I am not familiar with Open Tx, but on the Spekky the travel on throttle and pitch goes from 0 to 100%, I think Open Tx goes -100 to +100% (but I maybe wrong), so to transfer the settings all you'd need tp do is, if Spekky = 0%, Open Tx = -100%, Spekky = 30% open tx = - 40%, Spekky = 50% open tx = 0%, etc

Hi Frank,

The main thing to watch out for when converting from JR/Spektrum to OpenTx on FrSky is that OpenTx works somewhat the "other way around". With JR, the default travel (100%) is to vary the pulse from 1.1 to 1.9mS. You can then increase the travel by around 130% (from memory).

On FrSky with OpenTx, the default 100% travel is approximately 0.9 to 2.1 mS - the equivalent to a JR when maxed out! To match JR/Spektrum you need to set the default travel to 80%. Everything else should then fall into place.

The easiest place to do this is at the input stage, but OpenTx - being your flexible friend - will allow you to do it in the mixer stages and outputs too! Plenty of room for confusion there! wink

--

Pete

I have tried it and the throttle does not work and I am not sure whats going on with the switches, they keep coming out with odd programed statements like "Oh yes that was the right switch" "situation normal" " shoot its about to get real". laugh Could you tell me what was the rotary switch s2 for on imput 6 ?

The throttle has an overide "hold" switch, which needs to be set before the throttle can be opened - standard safety thing on all my electric models! It should be switch F (LH rearmost switch). It should be away from you to activate the throttle. Also, the switch in front of it (3-pos) is the "idle-up" switch, which should be away from you for normal take-off and landing. The other two positions are for aerobatics and full-on 3D, so beware! (This is a normal heli set up.)

Check for correct operation using the channel monitor function on OpenTx - pay particular attention to the throttle! I recommend doing this *before* powering up the heli!

If the monitor is showing normal throttle operation, but the throttle still doesn't work, pull the throttle (digital) trim back a bit. The speed controller should only arm if the throttle is shut below a certain point.

Ah, yes! Sorry about the voice messages! I'd forgotten I'd got them set up! Should be easy enough to disable them if you want. Think of it as an intellectual challenge! laugh

From memory, S2 is collective pitch trim - but its a while since I played with it! Leave it centred, normally.

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 22/01/2019 19:48:37