FlyFly DG-1000 set up

Massive tip stall

Hi Everyone,
I had exactly the same happen to my Fly-Fly DG-1000, last year. The damage to the fuselage was so great that I had to get a new one! I have just finished the re-build and it's sitting on the bench waiting to be set up. What movements did you find best, on aileron, elevator and rudder? I can't find recommended throws anywhere! Also, would you expect to use Expo and if so, how much?
Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Peter

Advert

Hello Peter.

A glider this size should be pretty docile, so I would start with aileron around 20mm up and 10mm down, elevator around 15mm up and down, and as much rudder as you can get.

I wouldn't use expo, and with regard to your tip stall, make sure the c of g is towards the forward position initially and don't fly it too slow.

Thank you Simon it's helpful to have a recommended start point. I have to say that, although I have flown a number of different RC electric gliders, I've never before had any that tip-stalled in such a frightening and fatal way as the DG1000

I have to admit to being more than a little nervous about the maiden of the re-build!

Peter,

It seems this model has been around for a number of years, and the tip stalling manoeuvre seems to have stayed with it. This from someone who admits to many hours of airtime with one, but that was back in 2009!

His advice to someone else that was in the same quandary…

Aileron throw what ever you can get ,but you need to run differential 100% up 50% down.

Rudder throw once again what ever you can get.

Mix rudder with aileron by around 55 to 60 %.

Elevator throw 1/4" up and down even a little less as the elevator is very effective and most the pilots I’ve seen haul back on the stick and the DG will be on its back quicker than you can blink.

Forget spoilerons or flapperons as they only provide aerodynamic tuck of the wing on the DG1000 and don’t slow it down anyway.

The DG1000 likes to fly fast but as long as you have air speed will land pretty easy (fast but pretty easy) long flat approaches work best.

hope that helps.

SteveW

I take it the T-tail is all moving? I know what he means…

The disastrous tip stalling characteristic definitely seems to remained with the model, many have experienced it, invariably to the left but at least on one occasion to the right.

Another gentleman said this:

I bought this plane, the EP version. It was a beautiful plane. My objective is to make light as possible.

I electrify it with a 3530 1100kv Turnigy and a 3s 2200mah Polyquest. With a 10x6, it draw 20A and gives 250w far enought.

My final flight weight is 1235gr. For this i use 4 four HXT 900, i replace all the servos cover with a piece of covering. i use 2 plastic screws instead of the steel one to attach the elevator, to gain weight. I replace the steel wing rod for a 6mm carbon one.

I put all the weight forward to attain the cg point without a gram of lead.

To increase it flight domain, specially at low speed and delay the tip stall, i put some turbulators at 30% of the wing upper surface and at 50% (on the upper and lower surface) on the elevator.

For the flight, it flies as trainer, fast but very nice. To land the spoileron system is effective.

Nicolas

Take care…

PB

PS    Having looked again after a visit to Specsavers I can see it’s a standard elevator. So I guess it must be quite powerful.

Edited By Peter Beeney on 26/01/2019 16:35:36

A friend of mine had one and used to fly it from a great slope soaring site over looking Clear Water Bay, Hong Kong. High speed slope soaring was what the model was about, it wasn't much of a thermal soarer. I was also quite surprised by how much the wing would flex when performing aerobatics but the carbon wing joiner seemed to be up to it fortunately. An attractive scale glider at reasonable price so I couldn't resist and bought one too while I was in Hong Kong. Sadly it has languished in it's box for years which is something I would like to put right, so I will be interested to hear of your experiences and set up Peter, when you get yours flying.

Thank you Piers.
The more threads I read and the more pilots I talk to, the louder the message that it's at it's best as a slope soarer! I also realise how much of Lincolnshire is flat!
And then you point me in the direction of the 2 videos, one in flat Holland - there's hope for me yet!
I will certainly keep you posted as to the eventual outcome.

The first video posted by Piers is quite telling. First launch, insufficient speed and tip stall. The second launch (after just 30 mins fixing wing roots!) was a much more hefty affair.

Likewise in the second video, depsite the motor, the initial stage of the launch is quite a powerful with the launcher seemingly running with the model. This is entirely consistent with my experience mentioned elsewhere. This second video I found very interesting indeed and displays the sort of performance I would have expected.

According to my database I used 20mm movements on ailerons & elevator. Older and wiser, I'll have some aileron differential next time.

Edited By Ian Jones on 30/01/2019 11:53:00

Edited By Ian Jones on 30/01/2019 11:54:02