WOT 4 Servo Query

Jon Robb

I am currently working on an old WOT 4 kit I have had for a while. As far as servos are concerned, I appreciate and standard servo would do, but could anyone reccomend a suitable servos for surfaces? I searched many pages of threads but couldn’t find a great deal of information. As this is an electric build a throttle servo won’t be required.

Advert

I have never had to buy servos for larger planes before. In flying wings I use hobby king as they are sacrificial. In my helis I have used Align HV digital servos. I see a lot of people reccomend Hitec but I have also read people having problems with these. I am happy to use any brand that’s is trouble free and gears are easily obtainable if needed. My transmitter is spectrum however I’m guessing there are servo brands which are more suitable than spectrum.

If you want what I use, Futaba 148 and Futaba 3001. Good enough for the job, tough cases if they have to survive an arrival. First wear point if the plain output shaft bearing on the 148. The 3001 has a ball race here. Plastic gears, I figure, when the gears wear out, time to replace the whole thing. Strip the gears, its had a abuse enough to bend or break something else but the gears, time to replace the whole thing. Takes years to wear out

Never owned Hitec, but I've never come across a competent user that doesn't like them.

The HobbyKing and Turnigy stuff works, but cases tend to be brittle, and like you say, sacrificial.

But as the folk above say, about 40 quid gets a pack of 4 servos. The discounts for bulk cut in at four, sellers havnt caught up with electric propulsion. But most people use a servo for each aileron, so that still makes 4

some advice. I don't think it is needed, given your heli experience, but until you are used to this end of the game, avoid digital servos. They draw a lot of current if stalled or overloaded, cost more, and are just not needed. At worst can overload the BEC, and lose you the model. They have a place, just not in a Wot4.

WOTDONSEDAGAIN !

I would just add that saving money on servos ( i.e. cheaper than the 148s and the 3001s etc. ) is a false economy when set against the cost of your Wot4 airframe and associated bits and pieces. Also, don't worry about the speed of a standard servo, you won't notice the difference flying a bog standard Wottie, just as long as there is adequate torque so unlikely to be overloaded/stalled - see above.

I like digitals and I like corona, never had a problem with them. I have them in my old 1986 ish wot 4 as below. Cant remember how much they cost about a tenner each I think. I have them in half a dozen planes with up to OS120AX power but you are probably aware of the warning above that not all escs have hi power becs and that can screw you. All my planes bar one (and that's going to ic before the summer) have life batteries of at least 1100mAh capacity.img_0029.jpg