Irvine 53 issues

Snorbitz

Thanks Frank. I wonder if my needle is an old / problematic design as Jon's needle has 2 o-rings and this is what the last poster , Tom Doyle, some 10 years ago was getting at before I resurrected this thread see below. I guess they would have had to send out needles and o-rings even if the needle part was the same as they both lost their's in flight ...

"Just come across this thread so my contribution is probably too late. I and two clubmates have all had similar problems with Irvine 53s i.e. undersize/loose fitting 'O' rings on idle mixture screw. I was the luckiest in that I noticed the idle screw on my 53 had almost unscrewed itself during pre-flight checks. My two clubmates weren't so lucky, their mixture scews dropped out in flight! All three engines suffered this problem after about half a dozen flights. Interestingly, Ripmax sent out new mixture screws immediately and without quibbling - we got the feeling we wern't the first to experience this particular problem and that Irvine may have had a quality issue.

Tom D"

Advert

In support of Conrads post I've experienced the same, twice over.

The Irivine 53 has been my favoured weapon of choice for several years. I've currently got 3 of them, 2 with the black carb and one with the silver OS carb. Of the 2 black carbs one has had a lot of use ( several years) and the other has only been in use for a couple of seasons and the OS carb one has only recently been taken out of the box.

The high mileage one exhibited the loose idle needle fault after a couple of years, to resolve I lightly nicked the bottom couple of threads on the needle which gave enough resistance to cure the fault. When I took the 2nd engine out of the box, the idle needle felt very loose, so it was subjected to the thread nick solution and I'm pleased to say both engines remain trouble free to this day.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...