The Nijhuis 72" Lancaster

Scruffy

Hi Scruffy and all

I have been reading your posts and the other Lancaster posts with interest, Just wondered how your getting on?
I'm at the stage of ordering mine. I've been an airfix kit kid for the last 30yrs but was offered a part built Cherrokee babe and a DeAgostini Spitfire unbuilt with some of the issues missing, both of which I snapped up. The Cherrokee is now ready to fly (just waiting for a friend to check it and test it) and the Spit is well on the way. Having spent years at 1/72 scale this is a giant leap!

I was hoping to follow you at a stage or so behind. I'm ordering the full kit from Tony's site and hope to start as soon as the spit is assembled. (the pictures on my profile are a few weeks old).

My question to the group is about coverings, The DeAgonstini Spitfire comes with awfull glossy film.  A site suggested filling the remaining open sections and sealing the whole thing in epoxy before sanding and painting.
How is the Lancaster finished, I will be looking for a detailed finish, panel lines and rivits not glossy stick on film.

TurboTim

Advert

Hi Timbo and all Lancaster enthusiasts.  I saved all your last lot of advice etc Timbo and am already finding it very useful.  Have started building my Lanc...at last!  and have just today made 4 bulkheads for the fuselage.  I have to say mine seem a mite more complicated than the one in the above pics.  But one of my 1st purchases is a Scroll Saw and what a tool that is!  Couldn't do without it.  I have been talking to Steve (ex. Elation Models) and what a very helpful and knowledgable lad he is. Anyway, the result is that i have definitely decided to go elec motors.  My model is being made from RCM &E plans I bought from my local model shop about 10yrs ago as a retirement project.  it has an 84" wingspan and Steve has recommended 25's with 12"X8" 3 bladed props.  Based on the info you gave me a while ago that seems a very reasonable set up for this aircraft. (As I said to you before...Elecs motors weren't even a twinkle in my dads eye whenI last flew an RC model!)  I am taking my time and expect it to take about 12-18 months to build as I am not in a hurry.  Further up the page I noticed that someone had said they wanted theirs to look like the real thing with rivets and all, not a shiny sleek machine.  Me too.  Mine is going to be matt paint, a finish that will reflect the real thing.  Sleek and shiny is ok for jets and modern aircraft, bu the Lanc is an icon and it's design and finish should, in my opinion, reflect that.  It will never sound like the real thing whatever so that's another reason I plumped for elec motors.  As always, I very grateful for any info, advice etc.  Let you know more as I go along and need advice.  I shall keep an eye on those who are building one too.  Oh, just a bit of info for those who may not know....Haynes do a manual for the Lanc!  How about that!  lol  cheers  scubajon

Ordered my Lancaster from Tony's site Sunday night, Today the Woodpack and CNC parts arrived, Well done for quick service, the plans and plastics are to follow (noting the 28 day disclamer on the site).

My plan is this: (other than fix the central heating, put up 3 fence pannels, visit my parents in Devon,ect,ect)
rather than hijack this thread I will start my own, but I will post basic info on how I,m doing and invite input. I have a Blog site of my own which I will link with more detailed information on the build, I also can link a webcam to that.

But to start with tonight will be spent sweeping out 1/2 inch of water from my workshop/hanger thanks to a miscalculation in rainfall and missing guttering on the garage.
I plan on scanning all the cnc parts onto the pc tonight. This is not to infrindge any copywrite but to make it easy to replace the part should the Lanc get "shot" down. This is a practice I have used for years, to replace a part I print off the page stick it to the wood or balsa and cut around it. I also do this with plans, I often work from a copy as appose to original. 1 tip always scan the part or plan with a ruler in view so when you print them you can recheck the size, also note that printer settings such as stretch to fit need to be turned off. Yes OK you do end up sticking A4 pages together but the glue and pins or on the copy and not all over the original.

Ok signing off to go and play.

Turbo

• 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Im watching this with interest, im a newby who hopes one day to build the latest Halifax in the latest issue. Just looking and checking out before i make my first move.  Would of loved to see it completed............... has it flown?

Edited By Halibag on 15/06/2010 15:34:17

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone help me?
I'm building Tony's first lanc with some mods from his latest version.
I have bought the brushless setup as reccommended. Could anyone please tell me the correct way to wire the motors. When I originally built the airframe back in 2002 I wired it for speed 400's the then setup. I have not yet covered the model. This is my first attempt at brushless.

Robert

Personally I would try to power all 4 off one large capacity battery - but this depends to a large degree on where the battery location will be.
Each motor will need its own speed controller, and all 4 speed controllers will be "Y" leaded together where they connect to the Receiver throttle socket.
Have you decided on radio power yet? UBEC, separate battery etc ?? as this will affect what you do with the ESC bec units if fitted.

Thanks Tim, I must add that I do have one large battery, to be positioned as per drawing, and four ESc's which i have "Y" leaded together, plus UBEC.
I have looked at the link that you kindly provided although only twins are shown, I assume it would be just a case of mirror imaging the other two.

I just wanted to make sure before connecting the battery and somthing starting to smoke.

Regards
Robert

• 3 years later...

They allow the wing ribs to be placed on a flat surface and all be aligned correctly during building of the wing. If you didn't have them it would be hard to ensure they were all lined up correctly. Once you've added all the spars, shear webbings and top sheet you cut them off, then sheet underneath.

Hope that helps a bit.