Nigel Hawes Whizzza Power Train Query

Jon Robb

I am currently building a Whizzza by Nigel Hawes and I am at the stage of needing to spec the powertrain before I can progress further as access becomes difficult to the firewall. Originally a Hyperion 3013-14 was used which has approximately 300w of power.

I cant seem to find any recent builds to compare mine too, however I was thinking of putting in a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3536-1050kv motor in the model. Do you think this is a suitable alternative or should I look at a different motor as its considerably more powerful at 500w? (the 1200kv variant is out of stock in all warehouses with no view to restock any time soon apparently)

Advert

My 2p worth is that this motor would be very suitable and provide a very spritely performance. Just because it is rated at 500W (allegedly) doesn't mean that you have to prop it for that. You can prop it for less, get longer flight times and doesn't stress (or overheat) the motor. You don't have to fly full throttle all the time either. A higher kv might give you more speed with a suitable prop but the 1050kv motor you suggest might be more efficient, so give you longer flight times while maintaining the vertical performance (for the same sized battery). A smaller motor would also work but then it wouldn't really be a Whizza!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 21/02/2019 08:14:01

Thanks for the input guys. It is comparable to what 4max recommend as a replacement to the Hyperion so I thought I was in the approximate right place.

In terms of the other controls, I have never liked aileron torque rods so I am going to go for two separate servos either in the wing like Baz did on his Fizza or one either side of the fuselage under the wing. Would in the fuselage be preferential due to being able to mount them more securely?

Edited By Jon Robb on 21/02/2019 10:01:15

Posted by Nigel R on 21/02/2019 14:48:05:

That's quite a lipo to squeeze into a 2.5lb model. Still, if it goes.

What prop are you going with?

I will have to see what I can fit in once it’s built. I would rather have useable weight than dead weight. As for prop size Nigel I haven’t decided, in your experience what would your recommend?

The last speedy model I flew, of similar size although a bit heavier, I used a 1250kv motor on 4 cells, with a 6x6 prop. It was quite rapid. 500W fresh down to 400W at empty. RPM (I guess) around 15k.

I think it'll be tough to get the speed up with 3 cells and 1000kv. Maybe a 9x7 or 9x8 and see what (a) the wattmeter says and (b) flight performance is. RPM will only be 8k. This feels more like a low speed setup type motor.

So if I'm honest, I wouldn't use the 1000kv motor, I'd look at a motor with 1500kv minimum, or even higher. I have a 2836 size with 2200kv that draws 400W on a 6x4 with 3 cells, which would be in the right region for this model I think.

In mine I have a 3542 1250 which pulls 50A from a 3S with a 9x6 prop and 55A with a 9x7.5

I use a 3300 3S lipo and it all works really well, if a little too "hot".

Suffice to say that it doesn't stay on full throttle very long, ever and will slow down very nicely.

I'd think a 1000kv motor would be great. Maybe with a bigger prop. A wattmeter will tell you what size.

_mg_2192 (custom).jpg