Death of a Fun-Fly.

David Davis

Not particularly massive issues, but the relevant ones for us are.

Low charge behaviour is a bit "instant off".

Lifespan is lower than nimh, I believe.

Capacity per unit weight about the same as nimh, not a problem per se, but worth considering.

Lithium is generally physical fragility. Not a specific issue for us on well installed and nicely padded flight packs.

Need to be balanced when charging. Not a particular issue with the chargers that are around now.

Advert

Posted by Nigel R on 26/02/2019 16:16:56:

Not particularly massive issues, but the relevant ones for us are.

Low charge behaviour is a bit "instant off".

Lifespan is lower than nimh, I believe.

Capacity per unit weight about the same as nimh, not a problem per se, but worth considering.

Lithium is generally physical fragility. Not a specific issue for us on well installed and nicely padded flight packs.

Need to be balanced when charging. Not a particular issue with the chargers that are around now.

Nigel, I'm sorry but if you really believe these are issues then I'm afraid you probably won't accept anything that is suggested to criticize your views.

Low charge behaviour is something that is shared with nimh, not in a big way and I've never reached that point with LiFe batteries as compared to nimh batteries basically because, capacity and voltage, life batteries are generally 60% of the weight of nimh. eg the last nimh I disposed of was 1100mAh and 9.6 V, the life that replaced it was 2100 mAh and 9.9 volts; this weighed approx 2/3 of the nimh. This was in my ff10 transmitter.

I use 2 cell life now and find that I can use 1100mAh for all my flying in an afternoon, my batteries are lighter than the 1100 4.8 nicads that they replaced (I used nicads in preference to eneloops because of the potential cliff edge drop off of the eneloops as they reach their safe low voltage level). If you choose to use 6v AAA 800mah nimh the lightest I could find were 62 grammes, my 1100 Life weigh 65 grammes, obviously AA nimh weigh more, typically 134 grammes for a 2000mAh eneloop, my 2500 2 cell life weigh 116 grammes.

I'm not sure what you are inferring regarding fragility, if your plane crashes and crushes the battery then it doesn't really matter what chemistry is involved, the battery is going to be scrap.

One issue you don't raise is the cheapness of life batteries, I just bought 8 life 1100 rx batteries from HK for 25 quid delivered, using the discount code I published on this site a few weeks back, the eneloops I mention above are reassuringly expensive, £12.95 and £16.95 each, respectively, though you can probably find cheaper, eg HK have 6 volt nimh low discharge at £7.13 and 148 grammes

I believe the balancing is a major plus point, my chargers will indicate if I've a problem at the charging stage not at the point of impact.

I suppose the one major issue is trust, I don't trust nimh, I do trust nicads and I've come to trust hk's zippy life batteries.

TBH, I wouldn't describe life cells as superior, it's just I trust them more than I trust nimh and I've converted completely to them. I also don't believe they have any "issues" over nixx chemistry, if any confirmation is required look at aerospace technology, electric car technology etc. Ni chemistry just doesn't figure anymore.

I also heard that the subscription base of the Flat Earth Society has diminished in recent yearswink.