Typhoon Documentary

Alan Thorpe

Advert

I'd heard of them being mistaken for FW190s before. I wasn't aware of the need for improved filters in France though, or that they used drop tanks.

I thought they were sleeve valve engines and early problems were largely overcome with the help of Bristol's engineers who had experience with using sleeve valves in their radials, but the one commentator gave the impression that the problem was with poppet type valves and that assistance came from Boulton Paul!

The Napier Saber was a H configuration sleeve valve engine and the first production engine to deliver over 2000 hp. Early production examples had problems with the sleeve's seizing.

Engines would just stop. When on a low level run under the radar across the channel this was pretty much fatal although there is the story of one pilot ditching who could not open his canopy who only escaped after the aircraft settled on the sea bed by kicking out the side window by the screen.

Bristol's had little to do with sorting the Saber. However their methods of sleeve production were adapted for the Saber.

With other improvement's the Saber V became as reliable as similar sized piston engines.

Another Thumbs Up for Alan. My late neighbour was a Radio Technician, initially with Hurricanes and latterly with the Typhoons, and recalled seeing one of the early 'planes lose its tail overhead, He was flown in to Normandy very early on and had some hairy stories to tell about his adventures! He died a few years ago having reached 101. I will enjoy watching this documentary.