Inrunner or outrunner EDF ?

tigerman

Which is the best EDF ,an outrunner ED or a inrunner EDF or is it a case of roundabouts and swings .After months of dithering and with a birthday coming up I have decided to buy a Bae Hawk .I think the FMS Hawk is my preferred choice .That is why I have asked the question .FMS use an inrunner EDF and Freewing use an outrunner EDF

Advert

You are correct or was correct the Freewing Hawk is no longer .To many bad landings took its toll on the poor Freewing Hawk .Because it flew so well I been meaning to replace it but I think the FMS Hawk is a better replacement then the Freewing Hawk .I am hoping it lands better then the Freewing Hawk .The FMS Hawk is dearer but I think it might be worth paying the extra Just wanted to find out what the difference was with a inrunner and an outrunner EDF .Daniel you say your Freewing Hawk came with an inrunner EDF .Have they upgraded the Freewing Hawk because mine came with an outrunner EDF ?

EDFs were originally all in runners as they were the natural choice for smaller diameter and high rpm and this is still true for the smaller (<40 mm) EDFs where it gets more and more difficult to keep the out runner bell within the fan hub diameter.

As the can on an in runner is static it is relatively easy to add a tail cone to streamline the flow after the motor although not all seem to bother.

Out runners cool better than in runners indeed some in runners have to have cooling fins added to the outside of the can. This of course interferes with the airflow a bit.

Out runners are easier to manufacture so are quite a bit cheaper.

When i ordered mine i ordered the outrunner version as it was £60 chepaer than the deluxe version. But when i opened the box to my surprise it was the deluxe version i had recieved! I got very lucky i guess.

Just a thought how about ordering another freewing hawk from motion rc.eu. but only buy the arf plus version? It comes with everything bar the edf unit which you have already and it only cost £180.

Dan