David Boddington RM Trainer

On plan RM287 RM Trainer I can't find the ailerons, elevator and rudder settings. Looking at the Aerobat plan RM 285 the deflections for a beginner are ailerons 1/4in up. 3/16in down, elevator 3/8in each way, rudder 3/4in each way. Measuring from the RM Trainer plan would suggest ailerons 1/4in each way, elevator 3/8in each way and rudder 3/4in each way. I guess the actual dimensions were in the original build text. Can anybody confirm what they were intended to be for a beginner?...Thank you.

Advert

Posted by Failed Flyer on 14/03/2019 18:48:17:

On plan RM287 RM Trainer I can't find the ailerons, elevator and rudder settings. Looking at the Aerobat plan RM 285 the deflections for a beginner are ailerons 1/4in up. 3/16in down, elevator 3/8in each way, rudder 3/4in each way. Measuring from the RM Trainer plan would suggest ailerons 1/4in each way, elevator 3/8in each way and rudder 3/4in each way. I guess the actual dimensions were in the original build text. Can anybody confirm what they were intended to be for a beginner?...Thank you.

Why not ask the people at DB Sport & Scale?

**LINK**

Edited By Stearman65 on 14/03/2019 23:17:06

DB Sport & Scale are not the people who sell the RM Trainer! David Boddington sold DB Sport & Scale when he became Radio Modeller editor and produced the RM Trainer.

I started with an RM Trainer back in 1984 and the article certainly had the control movements specified. However you should get your instructor to decide what control movements he wants - so set the maximum and then the instructor can reduce them on the rates on any modern TX

Edited By kc on 15/03/2019 09:56:43

I just checked the mag article and the movements were not given in parts 1 & 2 on outerzone. There was a part 3 which covered radio install and flying!

TBH I'd go with 1/4" up and down ailerons, 3/8" up and down elevator, 3/4" left and right rudder, and set low rates to 60%. They'll be in the right ball park.

I'll try and double check what the movements are for the Pronto as I have the book the plan was published in, and it is the same basic design, using identical wing and tail, a slightly simpler box fuselage and a different shape fin. Even easier to build.

Well the control movements are in the October 1984 Radio Modeller........

Elevator five sixteenths to three eighths of an inch up and just one quarter inch down ( diiferential is desirable but not essential )

Rudder five eighths to three quarters left and right ( measured at the position of the tailplane )

Ailerons three sixteenths up and down ( differential is again desirable )

The rest of the article states the usual checks before flying - CG, controls in the correct direction, range check, check of all linkages etc etc. Sufficient rubber bands are also needed - usually six strong bands. Note the aileron wing has to be built with the reduced dihedral wing joiner.

Thank you all for your help. I hope to get the plane into the air soon. It is 55 years since I built a Vernon Robot with single channel RC and a Alan Mercury Am 25 motor. How the hobby has changed .I am glad I had the courage to start again. I just hope I can achieve my A certificate at my senior years! Thanks again.