saito 82b consumption

Brian Dorricott 1

anyone any idea how much fuel a Saito 82b 4 stroke gets through per minute with a 12x6 prop on a Acrowot ARTF , maybe a bit specific but any idea ? . The Acrowot has a 270cc tank and on the running in when very rich it only did 5 minutes or so , better when leaned out but does not seem very economical , do I need a bigger tank for 10 minutes plus flights ? If bigger tank needed what did you get to fit ? I also have a bit of a struggle to get tickover down to 2400 is that due to the prop being a bit small at 12x6 ? Or will a 13x6 be a bit better at tickover as it's the smallest recommended in the 82b range ?

Advert

an 80 4 stroke should be throwing at least a 13x6 prop with 14x6 being a better bet. The lower revs of the larger prop are likely to help you on the noise front as well. I would use an apc 14x6 and work from there.

Fuel consumption varies depending on the engine itself, fuel used, state of tune and flying style. Higher nitro fuels require richer mixes and consumption is increased significantly above about 7% nitro. When it comes to fuel consumption saito do use more than other brands but when it comes to tuning make sure you lean off both needles for maximum performance. A great deal of fuel will be wasted with main and/or slow run needles set to rich. Your tank is 9oz and i would expect a good 8-10 minutes from most 90-100 size 4 strokes on a tank like that. When i test run 180's at work i use a 9oz tank and can easily test run 3 engines for a good 3 minutes each before needing a top up. Certainly you should get at least 8 minutes flying with a 9oz tank on an 80

Thanks Jon I know you speak from a strong experience position so 8 minutes is fine for me a post A test flyer getting used to IC , anymore and I get bored after 7/8 minutes but that's probably attention span as you get older . Was worried in the Saito run in instructions with it very rich that it only did 5 minutes but have leaned it out a bit after 25 minutes rich running to something a little more economical . A Saito FA82b in a ARTF Acrowot can't see me needing full throttle that much ! I have a Saito FA62 in a Boomerang and I rarely use much above half throttle even for takeoff ! Power is nice because you have a throttle and I could remap my transmitter on my Boomerang to use only 1/2 throttle and still have great fun . Jon maybe I should look out for one of your Lasers next time I'm in the market forces four stroke ?

Posted by Brian Dorricott 1 on 02/04/2019 00:00:42:

Think I might go up an inch or so reduce the revs but keep the pitch and with a 14x6 I can trim the runway grass as well ! Ken Tulloch is the Wots Wot overpowered with the 82 ? Just wondered because the Acrowot looks on a paper a little overpowered I think a 62 would have been ample .

We do have one chap using one of our 80's in the acrowot and he had no trouble with grass trimming on a 14x6 so dont be worried about it

It's not overpowered no, probably the top end of its range. Huge fun, but not mental smiley

On the acro wot you maybe could try a bit more pitch. The few at my club seem to go well with the extra speed.

That's not something my wots wot needs, It's quite happy with slow flying & turning & tumbling on a sixpence !