300 sized brushed motors and 400 motors+gearboxes

Thomas Gooderham

HI all, I have acquired a West Wings Toucan to build, and also have a mosquito to build. West Wing suggests either 300 sized motor for slow flying, or 400 size for fast flying, whereas the Mosquito calls for 2 x 400 size motor. Now I know there is an equivalent Quantum brushless motor for 400 size brushless, but is there actually a manufacturer/supplier of 300/400 sized brushed motors (for those that want to stick as close to the original plans?)

Advert

John Swain of Fanfare used to sell brushed motors and controllers, back in the day, you could try calling him if he is still trading (website is still there).

The real question is, why would you want to fit a speed 400 motor? These models were designed when there were no alternative, or early BL motors cost a king's ransom. BL motors are, as I am sure you know, much lighter and more efficient giving more performance and greater duration. They will last longer too with no commutator to blacken and erode. What is not to like? You may also have trouble sourcing brushed speed controllers.

Just my 2p worth.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/04/2019 06:59:02

Yes, a phone call to George would be a good call Percy. A BL in-runner might be a drop-in solution but the kv is usually rather high with these in-runners (2000+) and a better solution might be a small out-runner. A speed 400 motor is 28mm in dia. so if Thomas doesn't want to modify the cowling, an out-runner with a smaller dia. would be required. I used one of these in an MPX Merlin and I think it will also work well in the 34in span Toucan, which should only weigh about 14oz. all up. (this motor dia is 22mm and should be good for 90W).

Alternatively fit one of these for more lively performance on 200W, but you will need to modify the cowl slightly. 

If you google 'Westwings Toucan' you will find several threads on this forum Thomas.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/04/2019 08:35:33

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/04/2019 08:50:03

As Piers says you would only fit a brushed motor set up if you positively wished to keep exactly to a old plan.

If you go brushless be aware that a 'like for like' swap using Watts will give the plane a substantial improvement in full power performance - less weight, more thrust and more torque - so be aware of that with the maiden!