Skyleader Courier FrSky conversion problem.

Ray Bull 3

Hi everyone

Am wondering if any you guys can help me, I have successfully retro fitted the FrSKY module to my Skyleader Courier FM and gave done a bench test on 4 servos fitted to the FrSKY D8R 11 plus R/x and everything works,including a range check. The problem I find is when I connect an 30 aMh ESC to the throttle port instead of a servo and try to bind again,the motor bursts into life (no prop) ,in the wrong direction,I have tried swapping round the 3 wires from the ESP but to no avail,

I am wondering is this setup arming when I select or is it my brain not functioning seeing that it is now 78 yrs old.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Advert

Hi Ray and welcome to the forum.

The first thing you need to do, if you haven't already, is to take the prop off for safety reasons.

Next, it sounds like you need to reverse the throttle channel on the Tx. Is that an option on that set?

As for motor direction. Just swap two of the 3 wires to the motor. Leave the third as it is. It doesn't matter which two you swap.

OK. These are two separate problems.

I don't understand that motor direction one. Swapping two wires to a 3 wire brushless motor always works, in my experience.

As to channel reversal. We need someone who knows the Skyleader Courier. You may be able to reverse the throttle channel by switching the outer two wires in the throttle pot. My guess is that you'll the need to rotate the pot to re-center it. But this is all guesswork.

I'll change the thread title, if that's OK with you? That might attract the guys with the right knowledge.

Ray, you could test if the throttle is reversed by switching on the Tx, pushing the throttle stick to full on then connecting power to the Rx with the esc & (propless) motor connected. If the motor doesn't run like that but does as you return the throttle to the low position then obviously it's reversed. You may also have to move the trims to achieve zero motor power.

Also be aware that without a prop the motor may seem to run faster than expected.

BTW what make of ESC are you using ?

In the Couriers that I have seen, from each control stick pot a fly lead with 3 pin connector plugs onto the encoder board. To reverse that channel, you simpy remove the connector and replace it 180 degrees aound the other way.

However, I am not sure what pulse width range these sets used, so the low throttle on the Courier still might not match the normal low throttle pulse width on a modern set. These used a standard NE5044 encoder chip. By changing external resistors, the set up can be adjusted, if you have the patience and eyesight to trace the circuit on the Courier compared to the NE5044 datasheet

Posted by Ray Bull 3 on 10/04/2019 15:56:57:

The problem I find is when I connect an 30 aMh ESC to the throttle port instead of a servo and try to bind again,the motor bursts into life (no prop)

Hi Ray,

Two things strike me as odd, firstly, you should not have to go through the binding procedure when merely swapping a servo for an esc. Secondly, all (modern) ESC's will not "burst into life", but only arm when you move your stick to the minimum throttle setting first, irrespective of which end of your stick travel that is. Do you have any control over the rpm at all?

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 11/04/2019 08:18:01

Surely the simple way to reversal theory is to calibrate the esc in the normal way but move the stick in the ppposite way to the instructions. Ie for full throttle use low throttle. If this works then you will need to reverse the throttle either on the pot or as suggested on the three pin plug as suggested

Hi everyone,

many many thanks to all for the suggestions., i exchanged the ESC for another make, but still the motor shot into life, I did what Jonathan (thank you Jonathan) suggested and turned the 3 pin plug 180 deg found inside the Skyleader T/X.and low and behold everything worked as it should do. So once again thank to all,you've all been very helpful.

Just to add this forum site is by far the best on t'internet.