A double "Buy a lottery ticket" event

Peter Miller

Today was a perfect afternoon. I flew my new Moon Dancer 2 and had a ball ending up with a formation taxi back to the pits.

On the second flight for some reason the model was way out of trim, especially on ailerons. AS I struggled to get in trim it drifted down wind and in desperation I cut the power...I think!?. The model went down in a valley in a cultivated field

I started off across the field accompanied by fellow clubmate Michael and eventually we saw the model about 500 yards away (Checked on a map)

When we go to it it was sitting on the ground with no damage, not even a speck of mud on the prop. One lottery ticket should be bought. BUT the battery was missing. It has a hatch under the nose and I had not fitted a strap. One lottery

We looked that field and having no idea where or when the battery had departed we decided not to bother looking for it. I mean it is a very big field and the model had been wandering all over the place as I tried to get it trimmed.

When we got back Stuart Picket and Dave Perryman said that they would go and look for the battery. and they departed. Some time later they returned and they had found the battery in that vast area.

I advised them to rush out and buy lottery tickets on the way home.

Beat that!!

Edited By Peter Miller on 27/10/2019 17:24:30

Advert

Your battery must have been right on CoG, Peter, if the model was able to land unassisted so perfectly. Certainly a lottery day.

The battery fell out of a small depron biplane I was flying a few years back and it circled round and landed better than I'd ever been able manage with control! I assume because it was on th CoG. Fortunately it was only a few yards away and took no finding.

Geoff

That field is lucky for me.

Many years ago I accidently switched the tranny off while reaching for the elevator trim. The mode converted its self to toothpick about 500yards away. Same recently cyltivated field.

We retreived the bits but next day I found that the satellite Rx was missing. Iwent back and searched for over an hour just trying to find the crash site. Not a splinter left.

I started back to the flying field as as I walked back I saw a strange looking stone I bent down to pick itup and there, a few inches away was my satellite Rx.

I reckon my guardian angel was working overtime