On off switch

Julian Murch

The rx in my Calder Craft Primary is powered by a lead from the ESC. I would like to fit an on off switch but the one I have has 2 wires - red and black whereas the one from the ESC has 3 wires brown red and yellow.

Is there an adaptor or do I splice it into 2 of the 3 wires and if so which ones ?

Advert

Hi Julian

Your three wires from the esc are positive (Red) negative (Black) and signal (yellow) In order to fit an on/off switch you will need to cut either the red or black (not both) and fit the switch in between.Not sure why your switch has red and black wires. If it's a standard on/off, both wires should be the same colour. Anyway, doesn't really matter which wire goes where. You have two ends of the cut wire, connect switch red to one and switch black to the other.

Do NOT cut both red and black from the esc and connect switch wires to both.

Have to ask why you want to fit an on/off switch there. If you want to disable the power, that might work but it's not 100% reliable.

To properly disable the motor, better to get a bigger switch and connect in the power wire from the battery, or better still make it easy to unplug the battery.

Cheers

Jeff

Thats not a good plan Julian, with your new switch "off" your ESC and hence motors are still powered up until you unplug the lipo itself.
As the model appears to be switched off you might well forget and so fully discharge and thus destroy the lipo.

Also its not safe practise to effectively leave the signal input of a powered-up ESC floating, it could pick up noise and spin up.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 29/10/2019 16:47:11

Hi Julian, another thought.

Not sure why you want to fit an on/off switch, but the obvious reason would be to make it safer carrying a powered up model to the flight line.
If that's so, bear in mind that is is possible to configure one of the switches on your transmitter to throttle hold set to zero throttle.
Means you have to switch on before the throttle will operate, so you can do your control checks with the motor disabled.

Much safer that way

Jeff