Ribs - 'C' Grain, But What Density? (for Chilli Wind)

Hiya,

Unfortunately no pics, I made it up as I went along.

I used a full depth main spar from hard 1/4" slotted to half its depth and the ribs were also slotted to half depth and the spar was then capped top and bottom with 1/8" x 3/8" strip to form a girder type section. The ribs supporting the u/c plates were made out of 2mm lite ply. I never used any t/e stock but cut the ailerons from the wing and faced the openings with soft 1/4" .

The wing was joined with an epoxied in feathered 1/4" birch ply brace and a 2" bandage was pva'd over the join.

Hope this helps

Alex

My Chilli had 3/32 ribs, hard 1/4 sq spars top and bottom, and is fully sheeted with 1/16. Spar webbing is standard stuff, 3/32, grain vertical. LE & TE were done with two strips of 3/16 each. The first one on (false LE) has the sheeting stuck to it, the next one on (the real LE, as it were) does not. It has solid stock ailerons as per plan. Joining was done with just a PVA soaked bandage.

"Its a brilliant plane, hats off to Mike D for creating it"

Indeed it is.

Scruff, dihedral is exactly as per plan (I believe).

No brace - just the bandage. My dad's usual method. Lots of airtime (I have about 7 or 8 hours on it so far), no problems, it is not babied around, it gets a good amount of flicks and spins and so on.

My take, the usual thick glass cloth plus epoxy resin method is overkill for something this size / weight. I always use PVA & two (20 size) or three (up to 60 size) layers of the thinnest glass surface cloth/tissue. Again, never had a problem. A few coats of PVA gets quite a smooth surface and PVA also works quite well with iron on film.

No worries.

Many ways to skin a cat.

I would consider doing Alex's mod if I was building one again - sheet right back to the TE and cut out the ailerons afterward.

This would also allow space for flaps to be added at the same time if the ailerons were made shorter and wider. The Chilli is quite slippery and I use up all of our runway unless there is a little breeze. I could use some brakes of some sort! If landing space is not at a premium that may not matter.