dope lifespan

thunderstreak.keith

wasnt sure where to post this but thought this was as good a place as any. I have 2x1L and 1x 500ml tin s of shrinking dope and 1x500ml tin non-shrinking. They were at the back of the w/shop aka spare bedroom,under a pile of boxes. They are all unopened,sealed with metal transport clips and no sign of rust. What is the lifespan please? they are all dated (my marker pen) and are 23 months old. will they still be ok to use and if so roughly how long after opening please? They were purchased for an abondoned project and put to the side

shame to throw out such an expense

thanks keith

Advert

thanks for the replies,very interesting as I phoned HMG paints today and was told that they recommend 12 months from purchase date. bit confusing as one doesnt know how long those tins have been on the suppliers shelves. The reason they were in smaller tins was because i ordered the larger 2 1/2 l tin but it wasnt in stock, but i was only charged for the larger quantity not the 3 smaller ones,so that was ok. at least now i know i dont have to bin them.

cheers all keith

Thunderstreak, Like you, I looked at the H Marcel Guest site last night and saw the 12 month mention. That is most likely intended for full-size users and is the peiod in which HMG would entertain any complaint about deterioration in quality.

Even in full-size circles, 'use by' dates can be extended subject to the material passing an appropriate test. This is particularly the case with epoxies for which a 'coupon' (test sample) would be kept, and a tensile test piece done if appropriate.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 21/01/2020 14:43:34