Rhapsody plan - old thermal e glider from balsa cabin

Hi

would anyone still have a plan for the old Balsa Cabin Rhapsody glider.

I have the 100" Fantasia plan but looking for the electric version called the Rhapsody.

I'm converting fantasia and rebuilding the fuselage. Looking for reference points from the Rhapsody plan if someone not prepared to give up the plan.

I've read all the previous threads here relating to the Rhapsody but seems people involved are not around anymore.

many thanks

David

Edited By Cirrus on 18/02/2020 09:20:08

David, why don't you give The Balsa Cabin a phone or email and ask them for a copy of the old Rhapsody plan or at least a photocopy of the nose section, as that is presumably where the modifications make place? Always seem very nice people at the shows so perhaps they will be able to help. I would have thought that adding a motor to the glider version was just a matter of making a new motor former out of ply to suit your chosen motor? Don't forget to add a bit of motor down thrust. as most of the e-gliders I have built need it. Just my 2p worth.  

Good luck with the conversion.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 18/02/2020 09:51:38

hi - yes have already emailed the Balsa Cabin, but pretty sure everything was sold to Flying Ace who is no longer trading.

I was interested to see what the differences were between Fantasia and Rhapsody fuselage. I know the fuselage is wider on e version but the moment arm looks shorter and tailset smaller too.

thanks

David, the Fantasia would have used a heavy Speed 600 ferrite motor and even heavier pack of 7 or 8 sub-c cells which probably accounts for the shorter nose of the Fantasia and wider fuselage to accommodate the large battery pack.

i suspect if you fit a modern brushless motor and 3s 2200 mAh LiPo in your Fantasia all will be well.

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 18/02/2020 12:43:26:

David, the Fantasia would have used a heavy Speed 600 ferrite motor and even heavier pack of 7 or 8 sub-c cells which probably accounts for the shorter nose of the Fantasia and wider fuselage to accommodate the large battery pack.

i suspect if you fit a modern brushless motor and 3s 2200 mAh LiPo in your Fantasia all will be well.

I would concur with Piers' comments in regard to the use of a modern brushless/LiPo and rc set up. The fact that there is not much difference in weight of the standard glider WITH a then standard 4.8V Rx pack and standard servos and Rx. Weight can be saved or utilised effectively with servo size used too.

Hello. I've had a Rhapsody since around 1994...originally flew with its Graupner Speedgear 600 and 7 cell nimh which was ok for its day but a slow climb. Some years ago I upgraded it to a brushless inrunner and 2200 3 cell lipo....what a difference! More recently I have added some of the Hobby King servoless airbrakes as it didn't always want to come down...

Whilst I believe the Rhapsody is based on the Fantasia, it looks to me that the fuselage on the Rhapsody is almost twice the width of the Fantasia, as mentioned above, probably to accommodate the nimh pack, which you don't need.

I believe I still have the plan if you are desperate, but I think to make your Fantasia into a Rhapsody, then you would need a complete new fuselage.....not worth it, I guess. I suggest a good dose of downthrust as even with the Rhapsody designed for electric, I find I need to mix in elevator with throttle.

My Rhapsody has been a great glider and hopefully has many more years left in it!

Ian

Edited By Ian Dewar 2 on 19/02/2020 12:40:09

Posted by Ian Dewar 2 on 19/02/2020 12:39:14:

Hello. I've had a Rhapsody since around 1994...originally flew with its Graupner Speedgear 600 and 7 cell nimh which was ok for its day but a slow climb. Some years ago I upgraded it to a brushless inrunner and 2200 3 cell lipo....what a difference! More recently I have added some of the Hobby King servoless airbrakes as it didn't always want to come down...

Whilst I believe the Rhapsody is based on the Fantasia, it looks to me that the fuselage on the Rhapsody is almost twice the width of the Fantasia, as mentioned above, probably to accommodate the nimh pack, which you don't need.

I believe I still have the plan if you are desperate, but I think to make your Fantasia into a Rhapsody, then you would need a complete new fuselage.....not worth it, I guess. I suggest a good dose of downthrust as even with the Rhapsody designed for electric, I find I need to mix in elevator with throttle.

My Rhapsody has been a great glider and hopefully has many more years left in it!

Ian

Edited By Ian Dewar 2 on 19/02/2020 12:40:09

I would concur with the increased downthrust recommendation. I have on three gliders increased it when moving from brushed to brushless/LiPo set ups. My Bixto had nearly half as much again to the plan (the motor performance difference was quite significant and I also on that beefed up the wingspar). My Sonata E had a small increase, as did a scratch built.

thanks guys, appreciate your input - the current Fantasia fuse is built like a tank and way too heavy. Going to rebuild it and base it loosely on the existing fantasia plan. But make it significantly lighter. Going to use the existing *heavy* fantasia wings but put some lightweight spoilers in. The following kit will be going in it as proven on E-Calc

Overlander Tornado Thumper V3 2836/08 1120KV upfront.

HS-82MG servos

25 amp ESC + backup UBEC

10X6 prop

Meter shows it generates just over 20amps and around 230 watts which should hopefully get her in the air smiley

Curious :

On the Rhapsody plan what is the recommended downthrust angle?

From pictures of the Rhapsody it appears to have a single sided elevator hinge. I'll be honest I've not seen this before, seems like a good idea - did it never catch on?

I don't know the downthrust angle from the plan, but it was to little anyway - you seem to have a decent amount built in. You could always mix in some down elevator with throttle...I only use a burst of power anyway to get it to height..

The single side elevator works perfectly fine - I guess it was a weight saving thing? It usually gets a few comments! The construction of the fuz and wings would be the same as the Rhapsody and that has always thermalled OK for me...nice solid old model!

• 7 months later...

Hi, I just came across this thread. I have a Rhapsody that I built in 1994. It has had a few repairs and conversion to brushless. I still have the original plan. It does not state the downthrust but there is clearly a lot from the angle of the front bulkhead to which the motor is mounted. If you would like any more info then get back to me.