New to Helis - advice appreciated

Steve Colman

Hi all,

I have just returned to aeromodelling after 25 years or so and was about to buy a Multiplex Easy Star plane to re-acquaint myself with flying when a couple of weeks ago, out of the blue, my girlfriend presented with a Pro Copter by Yuneec. I have flown this little machine constantly and have now become hooked on helis. I now want to progress to a 4 channel model ( indoor electric ) and have spent many hours trying to decide between the various models available. It appears that a Contra rotating model is the way to go to begin with and I am drawn towards the Esky Lama V3 / V4 / Robbins. It's cheap to buy, spares are readily available as are upgrades.

Opinions sought on this model or alternatives that I should consider.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve.

Advert

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum

Please remember to fill in a little about yourself on the profile page - that way you will be sure to get more response to your questions! Don’t miss the several threads dedicated to Newbies such as yourself, in the beginners section, together with the few guidelines we have listed to help you with using the forum.

There is ( as you have found ) a dedicated heli section.

Once again, welcome on board and have fun! Timbo.

The Lama is apparently good; the Twister contra helis are very popular, and with reason - to a degree; bearing in mind you can get the Twister Hawk for around £60 including radio, it's a good next step.

However, it is so stable it is actually quite limiting - you may find yourself able to fly this comfortably in a large or small space fairly quickly, but then what? How soon before the bug bites big time?

While the contra models are excellent for teaching orientation, they can't teach how to fly a "proper" helicopter with collective pitch. That brings us onto the "next step after the contras"... and there's a fair amount of choice out there.

I started out with a Twister Hawk and as said above the contra's are inherantly stable where as the "proper" RC Helis are inherantly unstable. This means they are a little limited once you get past little indoor circuits and can only be taken outside on a flat calm day.

I would recomend the Esky lama  or one of its cousins, The Commanche and Dauphin. I found the twister hawk had an appetite for blades as they are rigidly fixed to the hub, where as the esky ones can move.

Another option is one of the 300 sized fixed pitch helis like the HoneyBee FP. These are less complex and cheaper to fix than the 300 sized colective pitch heli's but will teach you how to fly a proper heli. It will inittialy require more patience and room than the Lama but will be less of a jump when you move to a larger Collective pitch heli, also I have never broken a blade on the HBFP. 

Thanks for the comments and advice guys.  I think i'll go for the Lama to begin with for the reasons I outlined in my first post. I understand that my flying will be limited but i'd prefer to take things slowly to begin with. I have considered the HoneyBee as a next step after i've outgrown the Lama.

Steve.

Hi Steve.

I have only good things to say about my Esky Robins 22 It was cheap to by cheap to up grade and has Cept me flying every day for over a year now and has taken every thing I have dun to it in its stride good well designed heli good luck with your choice.

happy hovering Owen.

Owen, thanks for your comments re the Robins. I really like the look of the little heli and from the videos i've seen it seems to be the most stable of the Esky group. Perhaps because the fuselage is a nice rounded shape, hence causing less disturbance to the air around it from the rotors. I've discovered that I can get a Lama V3 plus a Robins body for roughly the same as the Robins alone so I think this is what i'm going to do. Lots of practice with the lama, tweaking and trimming, and then when i'm confident about my flying change the body to the Robins. I'm assuming it will fit directly on the Lama chassis with little difficulty?

Can you tell me Owen, are the upgrade parts ie, blades, rotor heads, motors, etc, worth the outlay in terms of increased flight performance and control?

Cheers, Steve. 

They are pretty well sorted as they are.

From expreince with my twister wich is very similar in design the only thing that makes a noticable differnce are the 180motor's but I would ware out the originals first. The quality of some of these "ugrades" is a little suspect to.

There are lots of blades and alloy bits but they either make it heavier or more strong, unstable by trying to make it more outdoor proof. For exmample if you fly aggresivly its possible to get the bottom and top blades to hit each other so there is an upgrade with a longer shaft ect...

IMHO once you get to the point where you are pushing it that hard its time to move on. 

Thanks for the info re the upgrades Madhatter.

I had wondered whether they were worth the outlay for small indoor helis, often doubling or more the price of the original model. I'm sure for competition boys the search for every ounce ( or should I say gram ? ) of extra performance justifies the cost.

Now I think I will order my Lama V3 / Robins and practice and enjoy the flying until, as you say, it's time to move on.

Hi Steve.

I have only ever had to upgrade the center shaft, as the fly bar has a habit of  flicking of when you are learning, but as for motors and blades I still use the standard parts that it came with motors can give up the gost. I am on my second set, but I do fly four times a day for ten minits at a time, so cant complain.

Robins 22 are the best Owen.

Hi Steve

I am so pleased that you are to be come the proud father of a robi 22, as this a sound move and will give you hours of fun. I have just fund a site that is selling the two channel model for only £20.99 on eBay and decided to get one just for the spares as it is cheaper to bye the hole heli and take it to bits for parts than to bye the spares singly, hope you get loads of fun and hovering.

happy hovering Owen. 

Welcome to the club you will soon have an addiction that will make a drug habbit look like a longing for tea lol

I would really suggest having a look at this web site Radds school of flight

There is a very well thought out and proven learning regime. It's a bit draconion and like having a drill sargent looking over your shoulder, but it will teach you good habbits and avoid the bad. The most important thing to get sorted out with helis is hovering in all orientations. This will teach you the right "thumb" skills for forward flight. 

Good luck !

To Owen and Madhatter; thanks guys.

Owen, could you forward me the ebay site that you mention; i've had a look but there are so many out there it's impossible to pin just one down.

Madhatter; i've briefly viewed Radds school of flight and will give it a thorough read through when I can find some quiet time.

Cheers

Steve. 

Hi all, and a special hello to Owen and Madhatter.

My Robins finally arrived this afternoon after being held up in Barcelona for the entire weekend. I have been through 1 battery so far ( now on charge again ) and managed to lift about an inch from the floor for a total of 10 seconds or so. I'm going to take things very, very slowly.....I didn't realise just how sensitive it would be. So, concentrating on getting a feel for the throttle and making small changes to the trims to achieve a dead vertical take off.

I can see many hours of learning ahead of me but I am very excited about the prospect! Not so sure that my better half shares my excitement to the same degree though!? But , she did buy it for me as a gift being the great girl that she is!

Cheers guys, Steve.