Canisters for petrol engine.

John, my gut feel is that the term power tuned pipe has more to do with marketing than actuality. A proper tuned pipe is much longer and will be a convergent/divergent shape with a baffle to reflect back the shock wave from the exhaust port. I was told Weston that a tuned pipe is a pain if you wanted to fly at different power settings as opposed to the speed or pylon racers. Also, throttling was very poor as the pipe came on and went off as you throttled the engine. I've tried DLE cans and while they do work they didn't bring the noise level down to the required 82 db. The more expensive ones are, in reality, better value for money as they will usually get you through the noise test and sound better. Alternatively, go the route of using a secondary mini can as was covered in the mag recently and that might work out cheaper than using the more expensive option but will require a good deal of work to get a satisfactory installaton.

So, if you go for the cheaper of the two you could buy the smaller silencer, I think it was about £10 plus postage. and you might be in business after a bit of jiggery pokery.