Has anyone converted a robbe "Do It" to electric?

Hello All -

Reaching out from across the pond for assistance with a robbe "Do It" which I hope to convert to electric power.

Stumbled across this bird/kit on RCGroups late one night, several weeks ago and in a weak moment pulled the trigger. This happens too often.

This "Do It" is a very basic design, as barn doors go, so I'm not too worried about its conversion to electric. Nonetheless I like to check about and see what others have done in similar circumstances.

I've turned over a few rocks which have produced a small amount of information of the bird. However the vast majority of said checking has produced only limited information which was generally related to its gas operation.

Wondering if anyone here has converted a "Do It" to electric and what insight they might provide regarding said conversion?

Regards,

Thomas

Advert

Hello Thomas, and welcome.

I have no experience of this model, nor indeed any fun-fly type model, it's not "my thing", but you should be looking at a power set-up that will give you around 150 - 200 watts per pound to give you the performance of a "fun-fly".

Just google fun-fly models or look for them on YouTube... There are plenty out there and they are all very similar, so you may find some help and ideas there.

Hope this helps.

Thomas, welcome to the RCM&E forum site!

I think I may well give you a helping hand as, although I didn't build any Robbe "Do It" I was involved in the production of the model.

Just a brief note about the "Do It" history: It was designed in the UK by Ripmax designers for Robbe in 1991 and then the model was produced in Spain under the Robbe brand since 1991 till 1995. Those models got to the USA as Pica has a close relation with the Spanish firm Modelhob for which I worked them and which manufactured the complete "Do It" production. From this relationship Pica managed Robbe distribution for some years in the USA and so a few "Do It" kits made the way there.

Regarding your question, I will follow the electric motor set up recommended for a similar model, the Cougar 2000 V2 from Weston UK. They recommend on the manual (link below) 2 different set ups, one for a 4S Li-Po and the other for a 3S one. I will recommend for a lighter airframe the 3S Li-Po setup although really both use same motor and ESC and only differ on battery and propeller. For me the 3S propeller is a too coarse pitch one and I will go for a finer propeller if you want to do 3D aerobatics, but as the Cougar 2000 has been a very popular model in Europe during last years I will start flying with the recomended APC 14x7" and change later after gaining some flying experience if you wish.

http://westonuk.co.uk/pdfs/cougar-instructions-updated.pdf

Hope to have been of help to you.

Simon / Jesus -

Thanks very much for your replies. They are a great help.

As I first indicated I'm somewhat familiar with airplanes of this design but was looking for information related to the Do It specifically from someone who may have owned/flown it. Those with familiarity of an airplanes flight characteristics and construction often times have insight which proves valuable to someone such as myself who is about to take the plunge with a similar bird.

Good to have some background on the bird's inception. From the information on the box I would have thought it was of German manufacture as it indicates Do It "Montagekasten No. 3170". When I entered this into a translator for German it came back Do It "assembly box No.3170".

The information for the Cougar 2000 V2 will be put to good use and is greatly appreciated. The watts per pound is a 3D standard to which I subscribe but the reminder/suggestion is acknowledged and appreciated.

Time to review a hefty amount of instruction manual and get started.

Stay safe gentlemen.

Regards,

Thomas