28% ultimate from bowman plans.

Bigflyer88

OK guys I am building a bowman 28% ultimate and hace been thinking about what to put up front in this I want to go petrol for this one but I have no idea what sort of size I should be considering the plans have no guide for engine size and as I have never built anything this big or had a petrol engine I am a bit stumped. Anyone flying a similar size ultimate? if so what have you put in yours? Any help greatly appreciated.

Advert

The plan is listed on Outerzone.

There is a comment posted by a builder/flyer:

"Hi guys. Just thought I would submit some pics of the 28% Ultimate I built from plans off your site [model photo & more pics 003-005]. I appreciate the plans and have a few I am planning on building in the future. Plane has a dle35cc gasser in it. Flies beautifully. Cheers from Karratha, West Australia."

I'm sure some of the guys who fly big stuff here can help more, probably telling you nothing you don't know - don't forget servo choice and so forth will start getting important at this scale, bit large for four standard servos and a nicad!

Posted by Bigflyer88 on 12/05/2020 16:32:44:

Thanks, in my head I was estimating that a dle 40 would be ok not a million miles out from the 35.

If your club has noise limits the dle 40 is very noisy, we have no limits but I have put perper pots in the exhaust and propped it up and it still howls, but it's a sweet engine and pulls the acro wot xl round the sky well, I'm sure it climbs vertically nearly as fast as it dives.

Posted by Bigflyer88 on 12/05/2020 21:12:05:

At first glance it seems as though it's 300g heavier for 0.7hp increase according to the comparison on macgregors website although I'm sure there are other factors to think about.

240g the diffrence from 35

Edited By Stephen Smith 14 on 12/05/2020 21:20:24