Flair Junior 60

I am building a flair J60 from a secondhand kit, just getting ready to build centre section and wings and find that the ribs in the box belong to a different plane! The flair J60 plan does not show the rib profiles. Does anyone have a copy of these profiles that can be uploaded to get me going? Thanks

Advert

Posted by Sebby on 20/05/2020 18:37:01:

I am building a flair J60 from a secondhand kit, just getting ready to build centre section and wings and find that the ribs in the box belong to a different plane! The flair J60 plan does not show the rib profiles. Does anyone have a copy of these profiles that can be uploaded to get me going? Thanks

This is the 1955 KK plan that the Flair version was copied from. There are a few minor differences but the wing rib profile is shown on that plan.
I built my Jnr 60 from the Flair kit in the 1980's, I may be mistaken but I thought the rib profile was shown.

Be aware that the Ben Buckle Jnr 60 is copied from the earlier KK 1946 version & although the same rib profile there are significant differences in the wing design including the main spar.

I refurbished & converted my Jnr 60**LINK** to electric 7 or 8 years ago the blog is here.

This is an elevation and detail provided in the 1955 KK New Junior 60 that I think was not provided with the Flair kit ?. The centre section ribs are 1/4 inch balsa and are flat bottomed without under camber unlike the rest of the ribs that do have under camber.

kk junior 60 (1).jpg

015.jpg

pb030178.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 20/05/2020 21:37:46

Sebby, The problem is easily solved. I've just had to do exactly the same thing for my next winter project.

Go to the 1955 plan link that PatMc gave. There you will find the main wing rib. Then if you look at the plan of the centre section, you'll see that there's a little drawing of just the front part of the c/s rib. This has to be grafted onto the front of the main wing rib. Thus, the main wing rib, plus the little front part to be grafted on, plus flat bottoming the entire rib, gives you the 1/4" centre section ribs.

Do you have the original Flair instructions leaflet? I no longer have mine but I seem to remember that Dudley Pattison gave a very clear explanation of how to build the wing. Even I got it right...

Thanks to all for responses.

I have now got a copy of KK plan and will create templates from the plans. With fresh eyes I will re-scour the Flair plan in case I’ve missed the rib sections. Another item missing from the kit is the Flair Instructions mentioned by brokenenglish, being a newbie I assumed the plan was all you got in the box🤔 So a copy would be welcomed if anyone has a copy.

Hopefully in a couple e of days I will report back on progress.

Thanks to all for responses.

I have now got a copy of KK plan and will create templates from the plans. With fresh eyes I will re-scour the Flair plan in case I’ve missed the rib sections. Another item missing from the kit is the Flair Instructions mentioned by brokenenglish, being a newbie I assumed the plan was all you got in the box🤔 So a copy would be welcomed if anyone has a copy.

Hopefully in a couple e of days I will report back on progress.

Sebby, I have the Flair instructions in a pdf file. PDF files can't be sent direct to members via the forum but if you would like to send me a PM with your email & I'll send it along with another pdf file of original KK construction detail sketches.

HTH
Pat.