QX7 firmware update

Brian Dorricott 1

I have a QX7 and various X6R and S6R receivers all a few years old on firmware etc and have seen reports of the firmware needing an update . I have read these mentions of this but can't seem to get a straight answer . Does the QX7 and S/X series need an update urgently ? I looked on the frsky website and only the transmitter has a new firmware update but not the receivers , are they compatable with each other ? Should I leave well alone until Rx firmware available ? Anyone got definite answer as I keep getting confused with the replies , usually on this forum it's the correct answer .

Advert

I run my Qx7 on OpenTx 2.2.1 and my recently acquired X9D on 2.2.4. The X9D is on 2.2.4 because couldn't find a way to load it with 2.2.1 to match my Q7x. It is not problem though, they seem to be fully compatible and fairly complex model configurations were transferred (via Companion) without any issues.

My Receivers are D8 or LBT D16 versions and all work perfectly well on either Tx. I can't find a problem with any of the system that would make me want to upgrade. I am concerned that any upgrade to 2.3.x might cause a need to adapt my many model configurations. There are some aspects of telemetry that don't quite suit me, but I understand that these points remain the same in later versions.

In the end...it all works very well for my use, upgrading for no reason other than to have the latest (for which changes might not effect fixed wing flying), can cause some rework to be needed.

Edited By David Hall 9 on 07/06/2020 10:45:01

Edited By David Hall 9 on 07/06/2020 10:47:51

I understand, it's something that I read recently too.

My receivers' firmware is as it was when they were bought. I also read that there is no way to check what is loaded. You can re-flash to a known issue level, if it's the latest, you may also have to upgrade your Tx firmware.

Have you experienced glitches on your D16 receivers?

No David not noticed any glitches at all , currently only have one Rx fitted a S6R in a Bixler and I only use the stabilisation for launching left handed just to keep the wings leveled until I get my hands back on the controls . Not noticed any problems at all except for the telemetry being swamped when you have them close together but that's a known issue . I was going to fit a S6R in my new Phoenix 2.4 glider but first impressions are it doesn't need stabilisation so might save it for something else that does .

I believe currently they are still working on the V2 firmware for the S6R and S8R so you are best staying on V1 that you are already flying on.

The unwanted servo movement bug present in V1 is very rare, personally I am still flying on V1 and have no intention of upgrading. I have seen enough issues over on RCG with them trying to iron out all the bugs and issues with the V2 firmware in the rx's like the G-RX8 and even the RX4&6R that I feel its more stable on V1 with the known bug than it is on V2.

At the end of the year or early next year once the new Archer rx's have been out, tested and are stable will I swap over to the ACCESS version of the X9D+

Edited By I_AM_MARKEVANS on 07/06/2020 12:14:06

Posted by I_AM_MARKEVANS on 07/06/2020 12:09:01:...................................The unwanted servo movement bug present in V1 is very rare, personally I am still flying on V1 and have no intention of upgrading. I have seen enough issues over on RCG with them trying to iron out all the bugs and issues with the V2 firmware in the rx's like the G-RX8 and even the RX4&6R that I feel its more stable on V1 with the known bug than it is on V2.

What is the nature of the bug on V1? ... some issues that apply particularly to, say, multirotors or helis might never be an issue for fixed wing. I guess that I don't need to upgrade to fix a bug in something that I don't use.

The original issue is that very rarely in exceptional circumstances there have been reports of a servo being driven fully one way briefly and occasional lockups. This seems to have been identified by a German group and as they have been able to cause the fault on demand FrSky were forced to examine their protocol's error tracking and found a potential problem.

My take on it:

This was over Christmas/New Year, just in time for China to melt down. FrSky issued a quick fix in v2.0.1 which made matters worse and was withdrawn. Now v2.1.0 is the revised version which is still being tweaked for some receivers as users are finding bugs in G- series and S8R receivers. Everything was complicated as FrSky appears to have taken the opportunity to make the protocol harder for cloners to hack. It's never a good idea to make two significant changes in one software release.

The bugs are being sorted slowly but now the received signal quality is being put under a microscope when there is no comparative data from either previous firmware versions or other manufacturers products to decide whether the results of the analysis are good, bad or irrelevant. In my view all this detailed analysis by users is not helping matters!

I've not experienced the original bug (often referred to as USM - Uncommanded Servo Movement) so I'll continue using the 'old' RF firmware until everyone agrees all the newly introduced bugs are gone.

One issue seems to be confusion between OpenTX (operating system) version numbers, currently 2.3.7 with 2.3.8n about to be released, with the RF firmware versions where the new version is 2.1.0. You can upgrade OpenTX without the RF update, they're completely independent of each other.

An original early version X9D is quite happy running OpenTX 2.3.7 (I have one on 2.3.7!) and is said to work on RF 2.1.0 now.