Simples anyone?

April 2018 RCM&E had an indoor Simples plan build. There is now also a big brother just issued. Anyone tried the original? Anyone succeeded?

I finally got round to building one. Maidened it; Dreadful ! Plan & article says no right & no down thrust. Mine clearly needed both. Now I've done quite a bit of that, in two stages, and it's not as bad as it was but still DREADFUL.

Gliding was always very good. It will now just fly away from me ok under gentle power but a tiny touch of right turn and it flips on it's back and dives to the ground. Similar reaction to any other input.

I know Deltas can be a bit particular. The CoG/Lift is exactly as per plan [I tried it a bit nose heavy too].

Anyone succeeded? Any good ideas?

Advert

Hi Tony, sorry to hear you have had troubles with Simples. I must say I'm a bit surprised as in my area there have been at least 5 or 6 people successfully built and flown them.

Usually the source of any initial issues lies with the balance. The location on the plan is a starting point but some fine tuning is usually required to hit the sweet spot. I would suggest moving the cg forwards even more as a start.

Regardng thrust line, after bouncing off walls and other models a few times mine have often developed all sorts of different motor angles without much effect on flight so I would definitely concentrate on c of g.

The design definitely works, I wouldn't have presented it for publication otherwise. I did put up a video on YouTube where you can see one of mine plus another flying just to prove it does.

I hope you get it going ok with a bit of perseverance.

Intrigued by this, I went off to find the mag...........only found july onwards... Doh !! Having watched the vid I got the urge to build one.

It's your fault Mike, that my house is now upside down after the search !!!.......laugh

I was wondering about dihedral, from the vid it looks like a flat wing but is there any ??

D.D.

Just for interest, Simples has undergone some evolution since the plan was published.. The changes were more about experimentation than anything else, any actual improvements in flying characteristics are quite small but the appearance has changed a bit.

The version below was the precursor to Simples Max that was recently published in the mag.

img_2092.jpg

This one is a further evolution with a split elevator that allows the fin to move back a bit. If I were to do this again I would make the nose a bit longer, this needed nose weight to get the cg correct.

wp_20191114_20_01_35_pro.jpg

wp_20191116_12_44_38_pro.jpg

Thanks Mike; all input gratefully received. In fact for my v2 I made a longer nose as I am not keen on adding weight. But I'll try adding weight too, tho I am already using a 200mAh.

The new tail is very different, and much more stable I'd guess, so I may try that sometime.

If successful I'll let you know but delays likely now tho' with other work to do at present.

Thanks again

Edited By Tony Gower on 16/06/2020 18:14:16