Unable to save settings for S8R

Allan Bennett

I've got a new S8R receiver in which I've installed the just-released v.2.1.0 ACCST LBT firmware. I've had no problem binding it to my Taranis X9D+2019 trannie, but I'm struggling to set it up using the STK and the FrSky configuration app. Actually, what I'm unable to do is to 'Write' my settings at the end of the process. The app goes into 'Write' mode, but stays there, with the red message "Tip: Writing configuration" and the red light blinking on the S8R, until I get fed up and pull the plug -- after about 15 minutes.

I've checked the 'Read' function, and it works as it should, with the red message turning to a green 'complete' message after about 30 seconds. But that confirms that the settings are still factory default, with my new configuration not saved.

I've set up a couple of these receivers when I started using them about two years ago, but can't remember what, if anything, I did different from now. I've read the FrSky manual a few times, and still can't identify any error on my part.

Any ideas please?

Advert

Thanks Ron, I suppose now might be the time for me to learn about lua scripts. I've seen that they come from OTX, rather than FrSky, and that I need to download them using OTX Companion. But how? I see nothing in Companion relating to lua scripts.

But the STK should work (it's worked for me in the past), so any other suggestions what I might be doing wrong, please?

Allen you need to install accst v2.1.1 on both receiver and transmitter and on all your other receivers. You must do this otherwise all other receivers will not bind. To use the LUA script you choose setup on the TX and pgdn untill you find the firmware directory then scroll down to sxr_calibrate.lua to calibrate the receiver, After calibration is complete Install the receiver in your model switch on tx and rx and go back to the firmware directory scroll down to FRSKY SxR and setup your receiver. PgDn PgUp updates the settings and allows you to check that the rx has been updated.

When carrying out above make sure tx is not too close to rx at least 1 metre apart, also the rx software has only just been released and you may wish to let other users be the guinea-pig 🤣🤣

I'm using FrSky's SxRConfig 1.8.4, which has done the job for me in the past when setting up several S8R receivers with v1 firmware. I've just had a look at FrSky's introduction to the Freelink app, but it seems to need to be run from a smartphone, rather than my laptop. I'll look a bit deeper into it, though I doubt if my phone has any memory left to install another app. Mike's Sport Set app on my laptop (it does work with Windows 10, doesn't it?) might be what I need instead.

My transmitter and receiver are both v.2, and the receiver is bound to the transmitter. Interestingly, on the workbench I was able to get the transmitter to within about 2" of the receiver before I got the 'telemetry lost' message and flickering green light. Much closer than with my receivers on v.1 firmware. I'm still not au fait with Lua script; how does it get onto my transmitter? Does the transmitter's v2.1 firmware update include Lua scripts for each of FrSky's receivers?

I'll follow up all these suggestions in the 'workshop' tomorrow, and report back how I get on. Thank you.

P.S. This thread relates only to a brand-new S8R. I've already updated an existing one, in a model, to the just-released v.2.1.0 ACCST LBT and, subject to a test flight, it seems to have gone without a hitch and without the need to go through the setup process again. Control directions are correct, and stabilisation deflection directions are also correct, so I'm going to leave well alone.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 26/06/2020 17:38:22:

Thanks Ron, I suppose now might be the time for me to learn about lua scripts. I've seen that they come from OTX, rather than FrSky, and that I need to download them using OTX Companion. But how? I see nothing in Companion relating to lua scripts.

But the STK should work (it's worked for me in the past), so any other suggestions what I might be doing wrong, please?

Allan, you don't need to know anything about LUA scripts to use them. The scripts are on the OTX latest SD card. Download that and simply copy across the LUA scripts if you haven't already updated the SD card contents.

Check out the "How To Part 2", it goes through using the LUA script from the transmitter: **LINK**

Sorted!

Thanks Andy48 and Mike. I first tried the LUA script on my trannie and, as you said, it was easy to calibrate and set up the receiver using it.

I then got out my laptop and checked FrSky's Freelink. I'd been to your linked page before Mike, but I was looking for a newer version of the SxRConfig app, so discounted Freelink when I saw it. After installing I had to use a troubleshooting utility to get it to work with Windows 10 (do they not have that in China?), but after that had been sorted it worked with my S8R and wrote the setup correctly.

In response to Ron Gray. The original FRSKY config software has not been able to save settings back to the Rx for a couple of years, FRSKY haven't bothered to fix it. I've had to depend on Mike Blandford's program and the LUA script. I tried an early version of FreeLink that never worked. I've now managed after some effort to get the new version working with Windows 10 by configuring it to working in Windows XP compatibility mode. I had to do this both on my PC and Laptop. There are no explanatory notes telling users to do this. Users should not have to struggle to get these programs to work, the RX's are difficult enough to set up when things are working normally. In my humble opinion these programs are not yet fit for purpose and shouldn't have been released, hense my comment Ron took exception to.

Steve, I'm not sure exactly what was going on, but some Windows diagnostics popped up after I first tried to run FreeLink a couple of times, so I clicked on the 'Fix it' button and it did fix it. Some messages about compatibility with Windows XP, 7, and 8, but no mention of 10. Frustrating for someone who's not au fait with modern Windows, but at least it's working now. I agree with you that it shouldn't be like that, but at least it can be made to work smiley

Posted by Steve Balaam on 27/06/2020 16:40:23:

In response to Ron Gray. The original FRSKY config software has not been able to save settings back to the Rx for a couple of years, FRSKY haven't bothered to fix it. I've had to depend on Mike Blandford's program and the LUA script. I tried an early version of FreeLink that never worked. I've now managed after some effort to get the new version working with Windows 10 by configuring it to working in Windows XP compatibility mode. I had to do this both on my PC and Laptop. There are no explanatory notes telling users to do this. Users should not have to struggle to get these programs to work, the RX's are difficult enough to set up when things are working normally. In my humble opinion these programs are not yet fit for purpose and shouldn't have been released, hense my comment Ron took exception to.

Probably nobody's made too much effort over this is because there is the LUA script on the tx which does the same job, and so much easier to use, and of course the settings can easily be tweaked down at the field.

Posted by Andy48 on 27/06/2020 19:55:04:

Probably nobody's made too much effort over this is because there is the LUA script on the tx which does the same job, and so much easier to use, and of course the settings can easily be tweaked down at the field.

I know that all sorts of things can be tweaked on the trannie, but I don't like doing any of that at the field because (a) the screen is difficult to see in bright light and (b) the screen is difficult to see because I don't carry my reading glasses with me frown

Using LUA script to configure my S8R was a revelation, but I much prefer OTX Companion and FreeLink on my laptop in the workshop. If any tweaking is needed after a flight, I just make a mental note of it and do it later at home.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 27/06/2020 20:32:20:
Posted by Andy48 on 27/06/2020 19:55:04:

I know that all sorts of things can be tweaked on the trannie, but I don't like doing any of that at the field because (a) the screen is difficult to see in bright light and (b) the screen is difficult to see because I don't carry my reading glasses with me frown

Using LUA script to configure my S8R was a revelation, but I much prefer OTX Companion and FreeLink on my laptop in the workshop. If any tweaking is needed after a flight, I just make a mental note of it and do it later at home.

Hmmm. If you don't take reading glasses down to the field, how do you carefully check a model over before the first flight to ensure nothing has come amiss during transport?

I've never had a problem with seeing the screen even in bright light and there are some things I do need to change occasionally down at the field. I always carry a spare of glasses in my field box.