Onboard Voltage Sensor

Can anyone give me some further information regarding an onboard voltage sensor installed on a motor glider setup that I saw on You Tube, that appears to give telemetry feedback to the Tx on the ground. Sounds like an excellent idea! I have a Spektrum DX9 Tx, which I know allows for onboard telemetry, but I am clueless as to what would be required for such a sensor to operate.

Advert

Thx Glen,

Thx for the heads up. I do have a Spektrum AR 620 Rx. But I'm not sure what you mean by a "fly by basis"? Which of the more expensive Spektrum Rx's would provide continuous readout?

I do have an AR9020, which I haven't used, because it has these little chamfers at each of the servo inlets, which means paring away any of my existing servo plugs, other than (expensive) Spektrum servos! They seem to have got rid of them mostly, on their later Rxs.

Are there any other independent Rxs that would provide telemetry, or does it have to be Spektrum to Spektrum?

The Ar 620 has reduced range for telemetry so you only get a read out on the Tx when the model is in close proximity. Have a look on the Spektrum web site for Rx that have receiver voltage as I am not sure. I'm surprised you have problems with using other servos other than spektrum. I have no spektrum servos and just chamfer the edges on other makes to fit. Incidentally I have been looking for a telemetry read out of altitude but not found a relatively cheap version I do have one but it I can only get the height read out when on the ground.

Tosh, you don't say what parameters you hope to capture. Most radios tend to give Rx voltage as standard but if you want information on an electric flight pack such as current draw and voltage then you will usually need to buy sensors either from your radio manufacturer or a 3rd party.

I have found that the UnisensE package provides a range of useful information and can be set up to work with most Radio systems - Spektrum being one. You will need to buy the Spektrum interface cable though that is mentioned at the bottom of this screen for an additional charge of Euro 14.90. Depending on how many amps you want to measure, you either pay Euro 55.90 up to 55A or Euro 65.90 up to 140 A. By the way, there is an English translation of the UnisensE manual here.

Best to read the manual I have linked to so that you get an idea of what this small package can do for you. It is also easy to swap between models at the field. If you have a spare channel input, then you can also get max and min values for that flight. Beware that none of this data is stored and as soon as the Rx power is switched off all the data disappears.

If you want to capture flight data for storing on your computer then they sell another product that comes with a Micro SD card that stores all the data on a per flight basis. It's called the Unilog and it is described in English here.

I have a Lemon LM0052 receiver which will display pack voltage. It has full telemetry for altitude and vario which is why I bought it for a thermal soarer. A full range DSMX receiver and it picks up battery pack voltage from a fly lead which goes into the highest voltage socket of the balance plug. Receiver voltage is also displayed but if that comes from a bec then it will always be 5V. I haven't had any range problems although I am using a satellite receiver. I have other Lemon receivers and they are good.