Dumb Taranis question

Rod Parsons 1

Hello all

I have an early Taranis from 2012/2013.

I really struggled in the earliy days with things like boot loader and the likes.

Ive sort of got the hang of programming with the help of Mike Selling's excellent F3F mixes have everything I need.

Im thinking of updating to a new Taranis SE with the new gimbals.

im running at 2.1.8

Dumb question- Do I have to take the new version of the sorfware. Can I just load up software from my Taranis to a new one? The Access thing just doesn’t appeal.

Ive never had as much as a glitch from it, but during a recent aeriel change that did go totally to plan I’m thinking of updating as it’s 7 years old.

Regards

Rod

Advert

Rod: From your post it looks as if you might be confusing the OpenTx operating system and the RF protocol (Access).

The RF boards and associated firmware determine the RF protocol (D8, D16,Access, etc) and have nothing to do with OpenTx (2.X.X) other than OpenTx being used to select whatever protocol the transmitter provides.

Your current Taranis supports D8 and D16. Many new FrSky transmitters support D16 and Access, and appear to have a different RF board that won't support D8.

The first question you need to ask is "Do I have any D8 receivers?". If not, you can happily get an Access Tx, as these still support D16 as well.

If you DO have D8 receivers, you still have an option of using a "plug-in" module that supports D8 with an Access transmitter. This could be either one of the multi-protocol modules, or an XJT module.

But this is the first question you need to answer before proceeding further.

--

Pete

Your current copy of OpenTX will have been compiled for an X9D and won't work on a 2019. However - if the 2019 will connect through Companion you can copy models across. I don't know what the 2019 ships with but you could certainly load it with the latest OpentX, v2.3.9 at the moment. As Peter said, you won't have D8 available, but you could convert any D8 receivers that you have to D16 mode using Mike Blandford's firmware.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 11/07/2020 17:54:29

Wow

im confused already!

Its been that long time since I looked at it, and I’ve forgotten what I’ve got.

In a firm believer that building and flying the planes is the hobby. Messing with radios is just nausea.

I started with a FRSKY DJT module in the back of a JR Radio, so have some models on those receivers.

ive got 2x V8R4 mini receivers and 2x V8R7SP that are running off the DJT module

For some reason I have a V8FR-11 that is working on the internal module on D8. I tried to bind it to the external module, but didn’t have any luck. Those binding instructions for these receivers are appalling.

Most models are using the X8R Receiver and are coming off the internal module. I’ve got 9x models on those receivers.

So, how difficult is it to rebind the X8R receivers to access?

Im assuming I can take all the receivers on the external module to a Taranis SE

i have just one troublesome rx on D8.

I like the Taranis because it’s like my old JR PCM9x.

I thinking of going Jeti for my 3x large models, and running all the others ( foamies and mid size electric on the Taranis

Rod

Access is a new protocol, and your X8R receivers are NOT Access. However, all the Access transmitters (I believe) also have D16, which is what your X8R receivers use. (Yes, the nomenclature is confusing!)

FrSky transmitters have space for two protocols. Your Taranis will do D8 and D16. The Access transmitters do D16 and Access.

If you wish to use D8 receivers with an Access transmitter, just plug your DJT module in the back and program that model to use the external module.

--

Pete