Taranis problem

Phil Lockwood

Hi everybody,

I have just (trying to) return to aeromodelling after almost a twenty year gap.

Technology has moved on in ths time, so I am an "old" newby!!

I purchased the taranis x9D plus in the hope that I was future proofing, and have spent about a fortnight learning how to program the Tranny. Then disaster, I was all set up (good to go and fly) and I decided to add telemetry, saved the program to computer and suddenly the tranny was corrupted - total gibberish. Now the left hand stick doesn't work and I cannot link to the computer.

I tried to follow the Scott page Video (how to cure a bricked taranis) in OpenTx University, but hit problems when I try to upload the Stm32 Bootloader using Zadig, When I reach the point where you select from the list, My list (in Zadig) has only 4 items and no STM 32 Bootloader.

I have looked in device manager and there is no bootloader,but STM device in DFU mode was present and I uninstalled it,

Zadig list is "PTK-840, Usb2.0 CRW, usb receiver (interface0) and usb receiver (interface 1) , BUT no stm32 bootlaoder.

Any ideas, it is driving me daft !!

Advert

Hi everybody

Thanks for replies. I am surprised and gratified by speed and willingness to help.

Mike - yes no "Usb device connected" - the following sounds daft, but I can't find my first posting on the forum (new to the forum and did not click "send email notification" and did not make a note of where I posted! so not able to see your reply to that thread.

Alex - tried different usb port and tested working with other device, problem is not with the computer as far as I know.

Steve - I am 99% sure the problem is not with the computer.

Hi Phil

May still be worth checking the PC has the correct driver. In my case the PC bleeped at me when I connected the Transmitter but nothing was displayed in the File Manager and the Companion Software couldn't read or write to the TX. Also the transmitters don't like being connected through a USB Hub you should always connect directly to the PC USB Port.

Posted by Steve Balaam on 17/07/2020 16:01:05:

Hi Phil

May still be worth checking the PC has the correct driver. In my case the PC bleeped at me when I connected the Transmitter but nothing was displayed in the File Manager and the Companion Software couldn't read or write to the TX. Also the transmitters don't like being connected through a USB Hub you should always connect directly to the PC USB Port.

Probably not related but when I connect a USB the PC nothing happens. I have to go to "this PC" and click it which then shows the USB connections.

Edited By John Wagg on 17/07/2020 16:55:01

Posted by Phil Lockwood on 17/07/2020 16:05:08:

John

I don't understand "Bump"

Mike

The Taranis shows "Usb connected" on it's screen - from what I can gather, it is that "StM32 Bootloader" is missing on my computer and that is the problem. Mind yopu I don't know where its gone, everything was working fine up to the software crash.

Trying to keep this all in one thread, so this quote is from the "other" thread.

"Bump" is just a way of making a thread have a recent post, so it doesn't get missed.

The Taranis has TWO bootloaders. One (STM DFU Bootloader) is built in to the processor, and is active if you connect the USB cable with the power OFF. The other is part of the flashed program, is active if you power the Taranis on holding the two horizontal trims inwards, and should connect showing as two hard drives.

The "Usb connected" display shows when you power on using the trims, and displays when the firmware detects the 5V power from the USB connection. It doesn't indicate that data is actually working.

So, please leave the Taranis off, use a known, good working USB cable (not just charging only cable), and connect the Taranis to the PC using the USB. You should get the PC sounding that a USB device has been connected, and have a "STM device in DFU mode" appear. if neither of these things happen, then you need to check the soldering of the small board inside the radio that connects the USB socket to the other board. To do this, remove the battery, then undo the 6 screws holding the back on and remove the back.

Mike