3D Model Printing

Airpaddler

Advert

Airpaddler

I do a lot of 3D printing for bits of planes but I cannot justify the weight to strength penalty of printing a complete plane compared to using other materials better suited to the application.

My first major use was for wing ribs where the structural strength of PLA could be used without an excessive weight penalty with a design that virtually matches the weight of one in balsa.

Both sides of a 200 mm long 3 mm thick printed Clark Y section rib.

lightrib.jpg

The outer profile is a single wall 0.4 mm thick as is the diagonal bracing with an intervening 'web' 0.15 mm thick. It weighs 1.2 g.

The accuracy and perfect repeatability on an item that is likely to be required in some number is also a useful attribute.wink 2

Another example of using appropriate materials. The complete fuselage pod, wing and motor mount of this 1350 mm span pusher is made up from 6 quite big 3D printed parts.

19may18.jpg

The nose is designed to exactly surround the LiPo battery and the ESC is fitted inside the wing pylon with integral cooling ducts included in the print. The Depron covered wing has 3D printed wing ribs.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 16/09/2020 16:56:22

Simon - Have also printed rib only and depron covered. I printed in, the ferrules to support a 12mm carbon wing brace rod. Worked quite nicely and is good for alignment of the rib profiles.

Also looking at the 3d printed mesh brace wings and fuselage covered with film. Couple of interesting examples on the 3DLP site. If there where more planes to my taste, I would certainly like to follow that route in future. Probably time to get cad`ing and design my own!

Hi, Airpaddler I am a prolific builder mainly in balsa and 3d print. I have printed and assembled from STL files from planepilot namely an Icon A5 and a Savage Bobber both of these printed on a Prusa mk3 I found then very difficult to get good prints and the files needed fine-tuning for the Prusa. I have also printed from Files . from 3Dlab print a Sturmovik, F86 Sabre, Spitfire Mk ix, Piper Pawnee, Q Trainer, Cessna152, of these I have completed the Sturmovik Q Trainer also a Boat. From Thingiverse a Swingblade. I have found the files from 3Dlabprint the most reliable and accurate. Assembly requires practice and tolerance for CA I.m going to try odorless CA to see if that produces the same results and does not cause breathing problems and skin rash I was finding it necessary to wait at least 2 weeks between CA usage, I have tried other bonding methods but nothing works like CA I have flown none because I dont seem to be able to stop building. Very few youtube videos show a catastrophic failure in flight but the construction method does cause disastrous breakup on a crash. I personally see a future for 3d printed planes that can only improve as more builders take up the hobby. As for Cad work it has taken some of these guys years to design the planes available and I don't think I can find the time to do that.

Martian - I too have just finished the Sturmovik. Looks as if you have made many more than me. I would like to do the Spitfire Mk1x soon. My printer is also a Prusa Mk3 i3s.

Which have flown?

I am just now printing the Eclipson Model T in white PETG by way of a trial. Did you ever try it?

Edited By Airpaddler on 17/09/2020 13:05:04

Posted by Martian on 16/09/2020 14:12:35:

Hi Airpaddler I,ve printed about 10 not all assembled due to a harsh sensitivity to CA glue

Hi Martian, as an alternative to cyanoacrylate, you could use a handheld '3d printing pen' to join the parts. I have found this very successful with a bond that is as strong or stronger than the parts you are joining. Use the same joining material as the parts are made from. In my case it was PLA.

I was joining cowling parts; first bevelling the mating faces, then filling in the groove in the manner a MIG welder would.

Something this 3D Pen

3D Printing Pen

Hi Robin thanks for that it's worth a go

Airpaddler l,ve not tried petg get I have found once the printer is fine tuned for me it's best to stick to 1 filament type and that's PLA or PLA plus and also to 1 filament brand then have no problems if using flex filament i try to keep going until it's finished then maybe a clean up of the head before switching to PLA . I hope you don't develop an intolerance to CA as it's a bit limiting then .