Brushless equivalent

Advert

If the Edge is designed for electric, then its structure may not be strong enough to take the vibrations of an IC motor.

Having said that your 0.36 should be fine for this machine since it will be quite lightly built.

Can you clarify exactly which model you have and can you tell us where the motor recomendation came from please?

hello

it`s a seagull 540 Edge EP. Quite a few websites recommend a 4445700 motor(650 O/R 1100 (C35-20) ENERG B/MOTOR, although no suggestion is given with the models instructions.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/32833/4445700.jpg

Since i only have used mainly E-flite motors i`m unsure how this measures up to them.

i have a thunder tiger 36 bl outrunner and an E-flite 25 bl outrunner spare...would these be an equivalent?

Hi Louis.....I have the Seagul Extra (pretty much same size & weight as the Edge) & fitted it with this motor here c/w APC 11x7 prop. It pulls 38A/420 watts on a 2200 3S Lipo & the performance is just perfect for me......endless vertical climbs, cruises around on about 1/3 throttle & gives 6-7 mins duration. These motors are also sold by BRC as the  Wasp range although they doesn't list the 1100kv version. The 1000kv version is here & would give similar performance on a slightly larger prop...maybe a 12x7 or so.

That said it will certainly fly well on much less power.....say 300watts minimum....so pretty much anything with this power should be fine depending on how you like to fly. Personally I always like to have excess power & use the throttle.....if you are flat out all the time then the components  tend to have a hard life. Much better to have something in reserve.

The Extra is a great model & I'm sure the Edge will be too......Enjoy!!!

PS I can't prop hang so can't comment on that one but if this is what you are looking for then you'll be needing 400watts or so!!!

Are you using a 3s battery?? If so you might find the 11x7 too small on an 870kv motor to develop the right power. the kv of my motor is 1100 & on an 11x7 it pulls 38A on a 3s.

Agree about the wheels....far too small....I changed mine for a pasir I had in my drawer...they are about 45mm diameter & work fine off our grass strip.....you could go larger if you wanted. I didn't fit the spats as they wouldn't fit over my wheels. The model is off the ground in a few feet anyway & it lands at walking pace so the wheels don't have much to do

I think it will be a case of trial & error......connect your watt meter (you do have one don't you??) fit a fully charged Lipo & try a few props until you get the right power. A 12x8 would be a good start methinks!!!

I certainly wouldn't prop for the full 550 watts........I think it would be way overpowered at that......aim for 400 watts or so & go fly!!!