Enlarged version of Vic Smeed Coquette

Hi, I want to build an enlarged version of the Vic Smeed Coquette which was originally a 30 inch free flight model. There are semi-kits available for this but I have seen on t'internet larger versions mentioned - 46" version from Derek Foxwell and a 72" version from Paul Howkins.

Does anyone know if there are any plans available for an enlarged Coquette?

Regards

Tony

Advert

If you have a copy of the original plan, find your local copy shop and get an enlarged copy made. It's usually quite cheap, probably no more than £5. If I was doing the Coquette I'd probably go for 45 ins. The fun bit is then selecting the appropriate wood sizes. I've done a Vic Smeed Mamselle and a Hot Canary using this method. I've simply measured the resulting wood sizes and then applied the TLAR principle to finalise my choice.

Thanks for responses guys I'll follow things up to sort out building something over the winter I hope.

I think Shaun's model on an old model mag cover was the one that inspired me to look into the Coquette and I did make an OS26 powered one some years ago - flew well at 46" span but I overdid the beefing up and that covered with GlossTex did make it something of a brick!

Shaun - are you the guy from Pandas who does the single channel/old radio/2.4GHz blog?

I'm from Normanton originally and started flying model planes back in 1970 from Heath Common and I have also done a couple of old transmitters based on Spektrum RF modules and home brewed Arduino code - perhaps it's something in the water there?

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes guilty as charged. Phil & I organise the Pandas annual single channel & retro event. Phil is the electronics wiz that has developed the single channel, reed, galloping ghost and propo electronics for updating old sets to 2.4G and I have my Retro Ramblings column in RCM&E.

Cheers,

Shaun

Edited By 2.4g Shaun on 11/10/2020 23:25:29