Neuron 80 esc telemetry settings

Geoff S

I have a Neuron esc in my Sopwith Pup and it all seems to work OK but I have a couple of queries on the telemetry settings.

1: RPM I've set the number of poles on my motor (4-Max 5055-595) to 14 but inorder to get the correct RPM readings I've had to set the multiplier to 2. I cross-correlated it to an optical meter when outside (they always read 3000 rpm imn the workshop) and that seems to be accurate. What I don't know is why. I would have thought knowing the number of motor poles would be sufficient.

2: Temperature: I've been generally checking and setting up the controls but going to the 'Telemetry' option the EscT reading was 47 degC which is clearly wrong as I wasn't running the motor and that's a high temperature.

It's set to 'Custom' (rather than Calculated) and the source is internal. Both Precision and Ofset are set 0.00. There is an option called Ratio which is blank.

How do I get it to read the actual temperature?

thanks

Geoff

Edited By Geoff S on 31/12/2020 15:20:39

1. Yes, there appears to be a bit of trial and error involved in getting the right balance of poles and multiplier.

2. Never even looked at it. I'd be inclined to use it to optimise cooling if it keeps climbing when flying, again it's down to trial and error in the absence of any real documentation. I'll check the log files for my UltraStick but I don't think I flew it on OpenTX 2.3.9 or whichever version first included temperature.

Here's a log from my UltraStick, as luck would have it it does show it and it looks as though the EscT varies from 30-37ish in two runs. It's set up with defaults in the Telemetry screen. I'm not sure how it works out the trailing ramps, presumably it interpolates it using the datapoints where the battery is disconnected after a flight and when it's next plugged in. It looks as though the biggest rise occurs after landing, ie no airflow over the esc. In flight temperatures look to be 31-36C.

ustick temp.jpg

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 31/12/2020 16:23:51

Thanks, Bob. I assume the wiggly bits are the actual flights followed by a rise then gradual fall in temperature. Why does the second fall to ambient take so much longer in your first log?

The Pup hasn't been flown despite being ready for months because I've been self isolating since April. I have 2 80 amp Neurons neither has been used in anger, sadly. I thought that as all the standard Neurons are the same weight and size, the exta cost of the 80 amp versions worth it for the extra options in a future model.

Neither of them are in high current applications (50 amps max for the Pup) so the temperature is of only academic interest but as it's there I'd prefer if it worked.

What are the settings in your transmitter (Horus?) ?

Vaccination and Tier number easing dependent I'll be test flying soon I hope.

Geoff