Electronic Magazines

Steve Woodward

I have a variety of hobbies including model flying, vintage motorcycles and classic cars, and I subscribe to 9 different magazines and clubs journals. Whilst I delight in reading all these, storage becomes a real problem. Most issues have something in them that I want to keep, but  I'm not a fan of ripping them to pieces to keep just the interesting bits.

Surely in these days of everything being in elecronic format, magazines like RCM&E could sell a DVD with perhaps each year's issues on. I could then recycle all my mags and just keep the DVDs for future reference.   

Advert

Steve,

I asked a similar qustion some time ago can't find the thread but David answered my query stating that it would not be cost effective and they would not have the resources. I have several hobbies as well and storage is a big problem as I hate throwing out a mag in case I may need to refer to it in the future, one of my other hobbies magazine which I subscribe to provides a paper and digital version which you can download at no extra cost ,this has saved me alot of storage space and it's easier to search as well, plus they often include video in the digital version. I have noticed some mags offering a subscription to a digital only version usually at half the cost of the paper edition which perhaps RCME could look at as I would certainly subscibe then. Checkout www.zinio.com they supply alot of the digital version of mags.

• 1 month later...

The German magazine publishers have managed for several years to publish a yearly CD of their FMT (FlugModelteknik) magazine content, it's great.

I really wonder, (especially in these hardened times), how long all the model 'comics' on the newsagents shelves can survive(?)

I rarely by a copy these days as apart from the poor content (i.e. manufacturer biased 'What a wonderful; product at a mere £395 etc etc.. type reviews!!!) I can, at a click of the mouse freely gather reviews from all over the globe (and they usually tell it as it is warts 'n all with multiple pics and video too). Users can interact and ask the builder/flier questions, get them to post a photo to illustrate a detail point etc. How long does that take for a monthly printed mag, assuming it's possible(?)

The web is relatively instantaneous in offering reviews, whereas magazines sometimes take months and then, as cited previously, can't (or don't) tell the full story of some products 'shortcomings'!

I really don't wish to sound pessimistic for the model press but times have changed. I was saddened recently to see in my copy of the British Electric Flight Association magazine their possibility of winding up. Alas, again it's a sign of changing times and habits which are unlikely to be reversed.

Just as good old 'Woolies' with its LP record listening booths and now the stores themselves have met their demise thanks to digital formats and downloads. I think the writting must be on the wall, (excuse pun), for the model press unless they can adapt.

The success of the e-mag /forum / reviews surely is the indication.