Forum Hot Threads

How are the hot threads determined? I clicked on them all yesterday and some of the last posts in the threads were days old. One imparticular had not been posted in for 6 days. I assumed that hot threads were the ones that people were active in at the moment, or that they had had a massive intrest shown in a certain topic. This is not a complaint I am just curious. What is the general opinion of what a hot thread is? Thanks. Al

Advert

Hi, thanks for the post. The hot threads are dependant on the amount of traffic through different areas of the forum at any one time. It's something we're able to tweak, and we're evidently not quite there yet if there was a thread there that hadn't been posted in for a few days. I've changed it slightly now to see if it helps matters.

Hi Tom thanks for the answer. Im aware that it must be very difficult to keep on top of running a website and admit that I wouldnt know where to start, But by "traffic" do you mean people who are posting on a thread or just reading the thread? I ask because the "hot thread" Switch by Diamond Geezer for example has had only three posts in total and the last one was 12 days ago. If however it is a hot thread due to the amount of people reading it, then perhaps they are reading it because it is on the hot thread list? Honestly im not trying to be difficult and if you reply Tom punches Al on the nose I will understand. Al

Al – first off, I know you're not being difficult. We really appreciate people pointing things like this out to us because we don't always catch them as quickly as our users. So please do continue to post about any issues you're experiencing with the site – we're here to listen!

As for the hot threads, it's mostly to do with how many people have actually posted in them, but we're also trying to find the 'sweet spot' as to how long those threads should stay active as a hot thread. As I say, we're tweaking it at the moment so hopefully we'll find a better balance in the near future. Please do let us know.