Updating Horus XJT Firware

Geoff S

Just like to confirm the method before I do anything silly. 

I'm on OpenTX (v2.3.12) and currently on V1 LBT/EU firmware on the XJT RF module.  I assume my version of RF s/w is XJT_eu_150122.frk because that's the file in my Firmwares folder on the SD card.  I've downloaded from the Frsky website both IXJT_ACCST_2.1_0_FCC.frk (which, I assume is the non-EU XJT firmware) and IXJT_ACCST_2.1.0_LBT.frk (which I assume is the eu/LBT firmware)

If I select IXJT_ACCST_2.1.0_LBT.frk I'm offered several options, one of which is 'Flash internal module'   (I've used Flash S Port device to update receivers - eg X8R - to eu/LBT version successfully).   If I select the 'Flash internal module' option, am I correct in assuming it will convert my X10 to version 2 firmware.  Similarly, I assume I could go back to version 1 firmware by selecting XJT_eu_150122.

I realise I'm being a bit of a wimp, here but, whilst I'm fairly accepting of bricking a receiver, I'm much less keen on messing up my transmitter.  My model settings are saved but ... ?

Geoff

Thanks, Andy.  Obviously the X series receivers (X8R and X6R) will need to be flashed but I understand any V or D8 receivers should still work, though may need to be rebound (leaving the eu tag unticked)

I have a number of Neuron esc which have a wealth of telemetry features.  I can't see their being affected by the change as the set up is all part of the OpenTX model setting.

Frsky seem to be pushing the V2 firmware quite hard now.  I think much (all?) the V1 firmware files have been removed from the Downloads page on their website. I bought a new X8R from T9 a couple of days ago and, as standard, it comes with V2 firmware but T9 will flash with V1 foc if requested.   I think some big Frsky users outside Europe are going to find that somewhat annoying.  I think the guy who does the excellent Painless 350 YouTube videos mentioned that he had over 50 receivers that would need reflashing, for example.

Geoff

16 hours ago, Geoff S said:

... Frsky seem to be pushing the V2 firmware quite hard now.  I think much (all?) the V1 firmware files have been removed from the Downloads page on their website. I bought a new X8R from T9 a couple of days ago and, as standard, it comes with V2 firmware but T9 will flash with V1 foc if requested.   I think some big Frsky users outside Europe are going to find that somewhat annoying.

Luckily the community has come to the rescue there - prominent FPV Youtuber ItsBlunty has collated almost all the old firmwares on an open access Google drive. Well worth a browse and a bookmark... ?

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Certainly for receivers at least there's a link at the bottom of the firmware download section 'history firmware download' which takes you to the V1 firmware page.

For example, for the X8R:

History link X8R.jpg

Luckily there are links like Matty's for the iXJT firmware as I don't think FrSky ever published them separately from the FrOS downloads.

Edited by Bob Cotsford

20 hours ago, Geoff S said:

Thanks, Andy.  Obviously the X series receivers (X8R and X6R) will need to be flashed but I understand any V or D8 receivers should still work, though may need to be rebound (leaving the eu tag unticked)

I have a number of Neuron esc which have a wealth of telemetry features.  I can't see their being affected by the change as the set up is all part of the OpenTX model setting.

Frsky seem to be pushing the V2 firmware quite hard now.  I think much (all?) the V1 firmware files have been removed from the Downloads page on their website. I bought a new X8R from T9 a couple of days ago and, as standard, it comes with V2 firmware but T9 will flash with V1 foc if requested.   I think some big Frsky users outside Europe are going to find that somewhat annoying.  I think the guy who does the excellent Painless 350 YouTube videos mentioned that he had over 50 receivers that would need reflashing, for example.

Geoff

Sorry to say but the Neurons ESCs are just as bad. The sensors need to be deleted and then new sensors added because the new version no longer recognises the existing sensors. It makes what was quite a simple task a pain in the ?.

• Sad 1

Frsky was my first foray into 2.4gHz when I bought a plug-in module for an old Futaba FF7 Super.  I later made a DiY Frsky module to use with Multiplex 3030 which was my usual transmitter on 35Mhz.  I've since sold the Futaba transmitter and Frsky module but I still have the 3030 and the module I made.  I've since has a couple of Taranis transmitters but my usual transmitter is a Horus X10 and I use that for just about everything - even my recently acquired Eachine mini T28 via  a Jumper 16 multi-protocol module.  So I have quite an investment in Frsky products but if asked today I don't think I'd recommend Frsky to a new user.  I feel they have lost the plot and become customer hostile - even my 3 year old Horus is classed as obsolete.

Geoff

• Like 2

I think one needs to decide on what one wants. A simple system that gently ages with time until the whole lot needs replacing. A simple system that ages with time, and instead of replacing the whole lot one simply buys a new system and works with multiple transmitters, or you get something that is upgradeable.

The Horus falls into the latter category, and yes it has its pitfalls. However, its easy to replace a few V and D series receivers with the latest Access ones, and the price is not bad, under £25 for a 6 channel stabilised rx. You can upgrade the tx quite cheaply too, and have virtually the same as their latest transmitters, and run Ethos with it if that's what one wants, though personally I shall be waiting a year or two until it matures into a finished reliable product before trying. Yes at times it is a pain, but I still have an extremely versatile system that is as good as anything out there, and for me its been super reliable.

28 minutes ago, Davis Hodgson said:

Am seriously thinking of purchasing an X20s,just wondered if they can be updated using a Mac computer ? All the comments seem to relate to Windows.FrSky's instructions are not the best......

David

My strong recommendation would be to wait 6-12 months if you can - ETHOS is not yet mature, I doubt Mac updates are high on the list. I humbly suggest that extreme scepticism is the only way to view anything Frsky tell us about a future software roadmaps...

1 hour ago, Davis Hodgson said:

Am seriously thinking of purchasing an X20s,just wondered if they can be updated using a Mac computer ? All the comments seem to relate to Windows.FrSky's instructions are not the best......

David

The method of updating the X20 is to put the update firmware on the root of the SD card as a file called "firmware.bin". Then start the X20 in bootloader mode (power on holding the enter button pressed. The firmware will be updated and the file deleted.

With the X20 in bootloader mode, if you connect the USB to your computer, then the SD card will appear as an external drive, so you may copy the firmware.bin file to it that way. As soon as you disconnect the USB the firmware will be updated. I don't think the type of computer (Windows, Mac, Linux) will make any difference to being able to do this.

Mike