Painting grey depron

Den Moran

Hi, everybody!

With the passing of white depron, I have bought some grey depron. I have started to plan a build for the winter, a Short Solent. Because most of the Short flying boats were a  white/cream finish, I am faced with the problem of turning grey into white!

I have an airbrush, and would like some advice on how to proceed. The initial 'proofing' of the surface is a thorny problem, as I don't want the grey to show through. 

This appeal for help is for dealing with grey Depron ONLY, NOT foam board, which is a different animal! I hope to cut out all the bits and bobs first, then spray them before assembly, with a final coat as the build approaches its end. 

Thank you for your help,

happy plagueing, keep safe,

Den, Abertawe.

Advert

Hi Den, I also ran out of the original white 3mm on my current Lancaster and had to use some grey to finish the wing.

I don't particularly like the grey Depron, it's too soft and flexible, but my fairly standard initial priming coat has been matt white ceiling emulsion paint with some talc powder to bulk it up a bit, (filler), it seems to work on the grey as well with a light sanding first. Though I doubt it will spray easy, (I only use paint brushes). The top colour coat is a water based paint, usually an artists acrylic paint or water based small sample pots ,silk finish. Then the clear polyurethane water proofing.

My Sunderland -

Ray.

May11g.JPG

For spraying Den, don't add the talc, as stated, use talc if brushing.

Acrylics are the way to go, but don't foget, you are adding weight.

For spraying we need the consistency of milk, so experiment.

The lowest cost thinner is water, but don't go overboard as your acrylic will become less plastic as it becomes diluted.

The highest cost thinner is Acrylic Thinners, but this takes nothing away from the paint crosslinkers and adds to the brew.

Crosslinkers make the paint remain as one skin and stick to the surface.