Cutting Hinge slots HELP!

Hello to all.

The time-honoured method of cutting hinge slots seems quite archaic to me; we centre the line onthe spar/ control surface, and then dig it out using what looks like a tool employed by a badly trained dentist. Then hope the hinge fits! We would have more luck using a trenching tool.

Is there anything else we can do here or am I not alone? I see Great Planes make a "Slot Machine" but Ive spent 2Hrs on the WWW looking for one in the UK - and finding nothing!

Any help appreciated!

Advert

Steve,

The slot machine is not available this side of the pond as Great Planes only make a 110 volt version for the US. You could buy off Tower Hobbies in the US and buy a voltage step down here like I did, well worth the investment. I would never go back to the "Dentist" method.

For goodness sake cut the end off a junior hacksaw blade (preferably at an angle) & follow up a knife cut done by marking out & eyeballing. I cant understand whatever happened to modelling when you're brainwashed into buying a tool for absolutely every part of the building/construction of "your" creation.
Use your intuition ,get into the swing of enjoying the hobby as it started out & still continues in some quarters- or take up leggo . Balsaman.

Thanks for that. Ive been building guitars for a number of years now so my standards are set quite high - if there is a tool or jig to do the job for me and increase accuracy then I will use one to get the job done. I do enjoy the hobby very much particularly when my results are right on the money! I did however ponder on the hacksaw blade though!!

A stanley blade is my tool of choice too. I work out the width required, mark it out centrally to the blade and then place it in the vice at the lines and use a block of wood and a hammer to snap at the line. cover with a cloth to prevent injury from flying blades! I then work out the height it needs to be off the workboard surface (centre of the piece to be slotted minus half the blade thickness) make a wooden base and glue and clamp the blade making a sort of chisel that is simply pushed in whilst wriggling side to side.
Hold a piece of wood flat on top of the piece being slotted to stop it swelling too much. You could incidentally follow on with a similar but blunted tool afterwards for an even more accurate result. then after inserting the hinges sand the high spots level. Perfect everytime...

Steve
Myron here again .What a small world !I was a guitarist (not strummer) for 35 years until recently cos of health & also manufactured an acoustic based on a Martin & a Balaliaka based on model boat building .D'ont laugh! the back is made of 4 pieces (hard chine shape )Sorry guys for drifting off thread . Any way it seems as if most modellers have their own technique they've evolved for various types of hinges .I now use Mylar a lot (forget the hacksaw blade for these just a carefull cut will do before roughing up each end of this amazing "plastic" & dribbling in some Very thin cyano.Any dribbles I remove with Pacer 7-7 debonder.I actually use a very thin pointed knife to start the slot inthe middle of the intended position Eyeball it from both directions ,push it right in then use a bigger tool after when I have a guide to help me get the position perfect!