Modifying the Spektrum Transmitters

Tim Mackey

• 4 weeks later...
Advert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
As the Battery and possible (external to Transmitter circuitry) voltage regulator is a user replacable item this would not affect the CE Certification. Altering the specification of the operating system including internal voltage regulator or aerial system would.

For practical purposes the Insurance may not cover you in the event of a mishap. You could also have any altered equipment confiscated and a financial penalty imposed, especially if involved in an Incident even though it may not be YOU that caused it.

I think that I would tend to assume that, although the battery is a user replaceable item, unless you replaced with the manufactures approved item, you might still render the CE Certification null and void. If the manufacture has not approved the battery replacement type i.e. lithium polymer, how would it have obtained certification in the first place? Surely it has to have the battery installed to be approved?    
    I asked a Legal Beagle for his opinion on all of this, a long time back, and, as always in the ways of lawyers he was suitably vague. However, he was fairly candid about the fact that any doubts or misunderstandings would undisputedly be settled in any Court case. And he was also totally convinced that, in the event of there being a very substantial claim, the insurance company would look at it very carefully indeed. They would spot a loophole from the other side of the galaxy! And, indeed, they are certainly not renowned for being benevolent.
    Would it be an idea perhaps, to show a modicum of prudence if you have carried out these mods, and contact the BMFA, and the insurance company, informed them of what you have done and get their express approval, in writing?
    Or perhaps a trifle less expensive, to ask these parties if they will approve of your changing the specifications, before you actually do it.
    I’m told that even something as trivial as changing the wheels and tyres, or less, on your car, can, in extremis, cancel your car insurance, if you don’t tell them you’ve done it.
    I think the BMFA is carefully trying to say that tinkering with your transmitter is Not a Good Idea.   
    Could be the makings of a Decent Debate here, I reckon.   PB.

I’m told that even something as trivial as changing the wheels and tyres, or less, on your car, can, in extremis, cancel your car insurance, if you don’t tell them you’ve done it.
Peter,
You are correct. if there are any modifications from standard that the insurer doesn't know about then you cover can be null and void, Down to and including things like a new stereo. The normal phrasology is something like 'Unknown/Unnotified modifications which could have a contributory effect on the situation or its outcome'

I used to sell insurance....only for a little while though!

Olly

Olly,
        Thanks for confirmation        
    I do feel that if I owned the type of transmitter that requires modification, I would think very carefully about doing it.
    I’m slightly nervous that I might find myself, although perhaps most unlikely, in a situation where I might have to very robustly justify my actions.
    And even that might not prevail!           Could be tricky!                             PB.