Building from scratch

Phil 9

Hello Clark. 

This is my first build and it was from a free plan in RCM&E Nov 08. I have a 3Ch easy star that I have being flying as well as using a flight sim. But I am worried my skill level will not be up to flying this just yet and to destroy it would be heart breaking.

I have a list of clubs from the BMFA web site but none are close to where I live. (about 2 1/2 hour round trip) But before this goes into the air i will go out to a club and get it checked over test flown and trimmed by an experienced rc flyer (if I can find someone to agree to do that)

With hindsight I should have built a high wing trainer

but im in no hurry to crash this one

Advert

More advice needed. this thread is titled building from scratch. The title refers to me and the model I started this build with zero knowledge of models, flying or building.

This time its servos. I have a few 9g Torque : 1.5 kg/cm servos and i am wondering if they will be strong enough. Will attaching one to a steerable tail wheel be a bad idea. I have some large servos that came with my Tx set but they are very big 53g torque 5.8Kg and as I want to power it with a electric motor I need to keep weight down as i feel the model is quite heavy already ( I dont have an accurate way of weighting it though)

Hi Phil

Why do you need a steerable tail wheel? As soon as you apply any engine power the thrust tends to lift the tail so the wheel has little effect. The direction of the airflow over the tail fin & rudder will largely dictate the direction the model goes. Solution - always take off and land directly into the wind and use the rudder to keep it straight.

For your size of model 9g servos should be adequate providing the control surface hinges are not too stiff.

Keeping the weight down is a good idea, heavy models tend to fly faster and thus crash harder! 

• 2 months later...

This was my first build and i am pleased with the result. I just have a few jobs to finish it off ready for flight. But I am already planning another build.

I love the scale models in the magazines. I would like my next model to look more realistic ( This one to me looks like an RC toy).

I want my next model to be “scale look” even if the plan is not based on an actual aircraft.

Anyone have some tips on how to produce a “real” look. For example if I built this same design again how could I make it look real.

We seem to have lost some posts here - I am sure there were some suggestions on a pilot and painting the prop!
Phil
Your excellent model looks like an RC toy because that's what it is, but it will almost certainly fly all the better because of it, there is nothing wrong with simple and robust.

Building to a scale appearance involves yet more work and there is no guarantee that it will fly any better indeed it may require a higher level of flying skill.

Try to progress your flying & building skills together otherwise you could end up with a hanger full of beautiful models that you dare not fly.

So fly what you have already built and if all goes well then move on to something a bit more complicated.

Jumped onto the thread a little late, but never mind.

I am building my first plane off plans- an 80" stuka with siren, dive brakes, dropping bombs, the works!  I think you have done yourself a bit of a disservice here by not being ambitious enough.  What I mean by that is you have followed the "accepted" route, but that route was established before resources like the internet etc were around.  This means there is far more help with the minutae of the build than there ever was before. 

I was attracted by the Vee, but it was the unusual tail that made it special for me.  I doubt I would build something from a plan that couldn't be distinguished from an ARTF by the end.  It's just not worth it with ARTFs being so cheap!  So if it was me I would have kept the tail.  Having said that, it's a good looking plane, and I like your scheme.

The most valuable bit if advice I have been given is- it's only balsa!  If you make a mistake then just do it again, it's not the end of the world.  In fact I have found building off plans easier than the kit I built because I know I can just make a new one of anything I break! 

So what's next?  Be ambitious!

Well i have bought some cheep ARTF models that have all ended up in bits. I need to be confident in my flying skills before I venture into something realy special. Also my building skills are not top notch. this was my first build and there are some mistakes in it. You can not tell too much on this simple model but a scale model needs to be spot on to be good

The point is, there is nothing that can't be fixed with more time- or sometimes more money.

Work out the balsa cost of the wings in your plane- maybe a couple of quid.  So screw them up and spend another a couple of quid to try again!

I didn't mean to be critical, I was just trying to point out that the support is now far better than it was in the past, so what was previously unachievable as an inexperienced builder is now possible.

After fitting the radio gear I am a little disappointed. My modified tail seems just to have added weight to the back. I also added a EP motor in place of the IC engine and now I am finding balancing the thing a problem. To get a balance I will need to add quite a bit of ballast. I am just hoping there is enough power left from the motor to fly the thing. Although I am not looking for high performance slow and steady will do me fine. I will hand it over to the instructor at my club to maiden and trim it (I hope it will fly). Now its finished though its easy to spot all the things I should have done differently (like putting the wings on straight lol). Well the summer is coming and I will concentrate on flying for a while. Even if that means having to buy an ARTF model. I am aiming to get my A cert out of the way. But I am planning a new build later on and hope to improve on my first attempt.