first low winger

I am posting this thread because I need some advice. I have just completed my SAA bronze award and I am interested in flying scale models. I used a tutor 40 for my bronze and I am currently building a 1/5 scale, db piper cub, so I do like building from scratch. I am looking for a low winged aeroplane which will be suitable for a me. I dont realy like the sport low wing trainers. I'd love a spitfire but ive been told by so many people that they will tip stall and are difficult to fly. So whats the next best thing?

Advert

Hi Angus. I was in the same boat 6 months ago. I bought a Black Horse Super Air and it's fantastic! I have since passed my A cert and I am practising Warbird flight profiles in preparation for my Hurricane, P51 and Sea Fury. I had heard it is prone to tip stall, but I have never seen any sign of it. My Super Air is powered by the cheap and cheerful OS46LA which give it enough power for pretty much anything I want to do. A Super Air is about £54 in the UK, so is cheap as chips too! I can't recommend it highly enough.

A "stand off scale" Spitfire should present no major problems. I have a Jamara / Sportsman Aviation 63" span spitty, and although it does tend to come in a bit fast ( I have loaded it up a bit with machine guns, and lights, and decent quality retracts etc ) it does not tip stall - unless you really provoke it.
I have to say it is not that much more difficult to handle than a fairly typical low wing sports jobby. Go for it...the Spitfire is just lovely in the air ( check out one or two pics of the aforementioned bird in my gallery )
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/gallery/images.asp?sp=&v=1&UAbN=51

Hi Angus,
Having gone the Travelair route I can say I learned a lot from flying it. I would suggest that it is the flying experience that should be looked at and practised, while building something more to your aspiration re scale. Too big a jump in degree of difficulty can get expensive and maybe put you off.

Have fun, Bob

I can't remember, but is it the Speed Air or the Travel Air thats a tricycle? Dunno, doesn't matter. I have the Super Air, with massive aileron throws, flaperons and I can throw it about. The OS46LA is a smidge underpowered if you want to be really adventurous, but if you want to fly conventional profiles (loops, rolls, stalls, spins, Immelmanns, flick rolls), Warbird profiles etc, then it's great. The three "Air" series all cost £54.99, so it's upto you which one you like. I prefer the looks of the Super Air though. I suggest you get some Solatrim though, because although the covering is tough for scrapes etc, it easily gets punctured e.g. in the boot of the car etc.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/winchweight/Stuff012.jpg