Not a good morning!

Steve Colman

I hadn't flown my HK Auto G2 for a while so decided to give it a go this past weekend. However, minor things like the prerotator flexible drive not working properly and unfavourable flying conditions resulted in a few tumbles during take off attempts and a broken rudder.

So, I spent yesterday fixing the problems and went to the field this morning hoping to get a few flights in but things didn't quite go to plan as the attached pics will testify.

All the electronics are fine and I have spare masts, heads, main rotors and other bits and pieces to put together another apart from the fuselage but, I could scratch build something from balsa/ply so not all is lost. Perhaps this will be a good option as I was using the Auto-G2 as my trainer before moving on to something like Richard Harris's Gyroo or Atom which I have the parts and plans for.

First pic from last time the G2 was flown - following pics from today

Auto-G 15.JPG

Auto-G 55.jpg

Auto-G 56.jpg

Auto-G 57.jpg

Auto-G 58.jpg

Auto-G 59.jpg

Auto-G 60.jpg

Advert

You can fix it 👍.

I bought my Auto G second hand and in that same condition.

large.992145472_AutoGMount.jpg.9b864a23ceea76812e9bc40c58054433.jpg

I made the motor mount like this.

large.514783.jpg.f64312cfd34d9e3d6d9de6d7d4b57b28.jpg

And glued it all back together used one large servo for the head and used the Atom blade set and delta plate.

If you decide to scrap it then I would highly recommend building the Gyroo.

Steve

Thanks for your reply Steve,

Tomorrow I will assess the fuselage damage fully; it still resides in the back of the car. If I can repair it I will but there seems to be many twisted and mangled pieces of foam it may not be worth it. I don't want to abandon it completely as I have many spares I bought from HK when they were still available a few years ago (but no fuselage) but, a new fuselage shouldn't be too difficult to construct so I might explore this route to begin with.

If I do I think I'll ditch the pre-rotator completely and perhaps opt for one larger servo to replace the current two for simplicty as you have done. I do have some home made delta plates with alternative rotor blades which I've used with succes on the Auto-G before.

If none of the above goes to plan the Gyroo will certainly be top of the list to replace it, perhaps followed sometime later with the Atom.

I really do like the quirkyness of auto gyros and intend to always have at least one or two in the hangar.

Steve.

• Like 1