Glitchy Twister Hawk

Gemma Jane

Hi guys have a Twister Hawk that I've been flying for a couple of  years now.

Occasionally, maybe once or twice in a flight, sometimes more prolonged, there is some sort of glitch.

It appears that the motors rapidly cut-out and then come back to life or sort of stutter.

It has been like this for a long time, mostly flying just fine then occasionally doing this.

I've just upgraded to extreme motors flying great on them but the stutter is perhaps now even more annoying.

Any ideas? I've considered loose battery connection but am now wondering if it is a radio glitch, any thoughts or anyone experienced this?

One other oddity which may or may not give a pointer to the problem is that if a metal object is placed against any of the metal running gear whilst the battery is connected it quite often makes the servos move and the motors kick in, which I guess could be some sort of earthing problem?

( I'm considering upgrading to CX2 4 in 1 unit so would like to know if this will take away the glitch beforehand)

Advert

Hello stranger

My twister bell does the same thing occasionally, but it seems worst when the battery is getting little low - I suspected that it may be just more susceptible to glitches when the battery is weak.

I have learned to live with it, after all, its 35Mhz

The glitching from touching metal objects on the gear is normal for 35Mhz stuff....especialy the budget stuff which is fitted to these units.

I know my next indoor type heli will be "the blade" - with 2.4G radio

Hi Timbo,

Ah "the blade" they are fab I only really got to grips with indoor coaxial helis when I got one, very precise little beasty and I soon learnt to fly it just how I wanted. I guess then the CX2 4 in 1 unit for the Twister Hawk will be the way to cure the glitch.  PS don't overlook the MCX when looking for your next indoor heli, 2.4G and circuits in the living room and flights up and down the stairs, now that is fun

I've flown my blade outdoors but it does have to be very calm. I've heard that you can get extended bits that put the upper blades further away from the lower, might be a good idea as all my coaxials seem to suffer from blade strikes in the slightest breeze. Be good to hear from anybody who has done this, also the extreme blades are advertised as being better outdoors, again though haven't tried it myself.

I've get very into tiny helis at the moment, love the litte MCX and took delivery today of a Buzz Fly SE, OMG is that hard to fly, like starting all over again (my problem not the heli's which is a lovely bit of kit), good job I got the Phoenix sim at the same time (I can't fly the helis in that for long either.. yet!)  I keep thinking small movements... don't over control and still it goes wizzing off all over the place

Try Putting your TX on dual rates and lower the sensitivity of the sticks when using the Sim Gemma.  Pick a heli like the Raptor 50 in Standard/Sport mode.  You will soon get the hang of it and you will be wizzing around in one spot.! Then you can up things a bit. My tip is with heli's is fly (mode 2) finger and thumb on the Ail/Elev stick.  Its usually taught finger and thumb on both sticks for Heli's,  but I find it more comfortable thumb only on the Thr/Rud stick.

Ps the MCX is magic - also I think it teaches you the cordination ready for the bigger stuff.

Al

Tough one really Tim. Theres no indoor ie. house  and outdoor heli  I can think of really. They either too  small to fly outside or too big to fly inside the house properly other than hovering.  Unless If you have a huge indoor space at home which most people haven't.

Eg:  I  flew my T-Rex 450 the other night around a gymnasium at a club meet.  However when you have a dozen or so micros wizzing about it wasnt ideal. I.e the possible collision factor.  However I can fly that one in winds of up to !5 mph outside.  I fly the Rex up at Barkston Heath and you know the wind conditions are like there. 

Personally I would say get your hands on one of those Bind N fly MCX's you wouldn't be dissapointed, to fly around the house. I have been wizzing mine around my living room twice tonight - its brilliant. Other than the full roll of a bigger single blades it is just as good but not vicious as the proper heli's.

For outside - and as you like electric.  I would go for something the size of the Rex or a Mini Titan(slightly bigger) which you can fly outside on the average day.  Plus if there is a indoor venue you can fly them as they are usually the biggest size Heli's most clubs allow for indoor flying.

Al

Ta Eric, always learning new things this end. Looking at the cost of the replacement parts I think I'll have to live with my glitchy Twister  Hawk, the cost for the bits to upgrade it to 2.4G using CX2 spares could buy another complete heli with another charger, battery, TX etc so it probably isn't worth it.

Thanks again Alan for the tips, I had  no idea most people controlled helis with finger and thumb, flying fixed wings before I've just used my thumbs. Haven't quite mastered the Buzz Fly yet but following your advice I can now at least keep it off the ground for a battery worths of flight, amazing how enteraining attempting to control a minature upside down FlyMow in the living room can actually be... I have a horrible feeling I'm going to want to progress to bigger things..... 

You are welcome Gemma - Once you get the bug you will start hankering for something bigger. Before you Know it you will be flying a Synergy 90 i/c !  .  Personally I think I will stick as far as a 50 i/c.

I still fly right Stick finger and thumb on fixed wing.

• 8 months later...
Hi all, I have noticed the problems that some folks have been having with the twister hawk glitching.  I have also experinced the same probelm when flying out doors on calm evenings. I solved the problem by changing the transmiter.  I now using an old Futa skyport 6A for outside flying, with no glitches.  The twister transmiter works fine in doors but I suspect lacks the power when outside.  The state or type of battery seems to make little difference in the hawk transmiter.  Unfortunately, I have no way of accuarely measuing the actual power output of the respective transmitters so I can ony report the way i have solved the problem without a full understanding of the true facts.  Oh for a RF power meter!!

Roy
Rotherwick