Piper L-4 Grasshopper

Bridon

Hi,

For Christmas I am getting a Sig 1/6 scale Piper J3 Cub.  I would like to make an L-4 version and to get as accurate a paint finish as possible, I need to see some colour details.

Trawling through the net for a couple of days has not yielded much so far...

Can anyone point me to any suitable colour profiles on this aircraft anywhere?

Much appreciated.

BrianG

Advert

Hi Brian, Some years ago I dressed up a Flair cub as a J3 The main problem was that the Flair version did not have the glasshouse cockpit of the Grasshopper, I'll check and see what I can find. In the meantime, there is a fabulous book called fighting grasshoppers, with lots of pics, but as far as I can remember, no colour. It also covers Cessna bird dogs, and the similar Stinson reconnaisance plane

ernie

Hi Ernie,

Thanks for those links...plenty to see on those.... The Sig 1/6 Scale J3 also does not have the glasshouse either but I will modify the structure as much as possible to enable a fair representation of the L-4 (without weakening anything of course) the result should be sort of 'Stand Off' scale and hopefully will look convincing in the air......anyways, it will make a change from Cub Yellow.....

Had a stroke of luck today...found a Polish book (Samolot) on the Piper L-4 in our local Charity shop.....only about 25 pages but in the centre was a colour 3-view... Just what I needed.

I have heard of the book you mention ...by Ken Wakefield apparently but my local library do not stock it neither apparently do the usual online bookstores.....never mind, from your links and my book find today...I should get a fair L-4 out of it in the end.