NiMH Batteries

On YOU magazine 7th dec.2008, There was a small article

on page 7 stating. (to get the most out of your NiMh rechargeable

batteries store them in a bag in your'e freezer,this will ensure

they retain power when not in use) now It's always been my understanding

that cold/freezing is the enemy of batteries, can anyone shed some light on

this statement please

Advert

No so. keeping them cold and partly charged is the best way to preserve them and will ensure a long service life, but will not help them to retain their charge - NiMh have a high self discharge rate, worse that NiCd

However when it comes to actually USING them, then warm is best - all batteries PERFORM poorly in the cold.

One thing you must do if refrigerating them is ro protect them from moisture, so wrap them well in airtight bags

Does anyone have any figures on current capability of different capacity nimh's? I keep hearing the advice "for a receiver pack, get the highest capacity AA's you can" I'm not convinced. As we all know, 4 or more servos can take a high instantaneous current at times during a flight. So the amount of current the battery can deliver is very important. I believe that as a general rule, for a AA's at least, to get higher capacity they use thinner plates to pack more in, and thinner plates mean lower current capacity.

Chris.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee211/robcrewe/Image2.jpg

There was a thread on this subject a while ago and I ended up testing my Vapex 2600's under load. If I remember correctly the voltage holds up OK at up to 4A load.

I bought some of their Instant AA's for my camera but compared to normal NiMH's or even Alkaline cells they seem a bit 'Lightweight'.

I now use 5 X 3300 mAh sub C's for heavier loads.

• 1 year later...
I am about to committ aviation with a Venus 2 (120 size) using a 4 cell (4.8volt)  Sanyo eneloop NIMH 2000 m/ah receiver battery. I have digital servos installed.
My typical days flying is 4 X 8minute flights entailing pattern aerobatics with a bit of Knife edging thrown in. I have done this for some time with my Venus 40 (Little brother) with no problems.

A fellow club member suggested that voltage drop could be an issue which would mean my 2.4Ghz receiver could stop responding. He recommended bigger batteries and muttered something about Sub C. ? As an electronic Phillestine I would have fitted a 5 cell (6 volt version of the Eneloop) as the simplest solution. I read that this would increase power but reduce duration. As long as I get 4 flights this will be fine.
I have a vague memory of the use of Voltage regulators, LIPo Rx batteries and Power Boxes but this is all Greek to me and may be a massive overkill.
Any opinions on my 6.0 volt solution?

Either solution will work, but the difference is thus.
4 cell larger size ( sub C ) - current draw will remain same in use, as will servo speed and torque. Battery voltage will hold up better, and assuming larger than 2000m/ahr then duration will be longer.
5 cell standard AA size - current draw will increase slightly ( so shorter battery life ) servo speed and torque will increase, battery voltage will be higher to start with, but will proportionally sag more than option 1.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 04/08/2010 20:03:59

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 10/08/2010 11:33:51