Cessna Skylane 182 P wing tips

KenC

Can anyone offer reason for the strange droop to the tips of the wingtips on the Cessna 182 Skylane ?   It seems to have a concave end ( looking from base)  with this unusual droop on the trailing edge.  Other than the purity of scale , is there any reason to follow this style on a 1/5 scale RC version, it has flaps  for landing etc. 

They are Hoerner wing tips, named after Sighard F Hoerner who published a paper about them in the 50's after conducting research into methods of reducing wing tip vortices and, in consequence, reduce induced drag.

I doubt that you would notice much if any aerodynamic difference in using them on a 1/5 scale model.

There are numerous aftermarket wing tips on the market for many Cessna variants, perhaps you should just pick one you like?  eg https://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/aircraft_parts/ap/menus/ap/wingtips_0cessna.html

https://www.knots2u.net/categories/cessna-models/182-models/wing-tips.html

Edited by John Lee
Spelling

Thanks John for the info , I found in Cessna blurb that these tips were an optional accessory, so it might seem that inclusion or emission  are both scale !

I think the ones you noted in links might be about $800 too expensive and 5 x too big 🙂

Edited by KenC